Free Ranging after (Poison?) Deaths

Mar 7, 2022
SE Ohio
Not sure if this is the right Chanel but I need help.

A few days ago we lost half of our ducks. Our birds are semi free ranges- they have a large coop and secured run, but in good weather while we’re home they can be let out to wander our yard. Our birds have been doing this free ranging for at least six months with no problems.

I can’t confirm for sure it was some kind of toxin that killed 2/4 of our ducks and nearly took another, but I have no idea what else. My idea for the culprits lies in a pile of leaves in the front yard the ducks enjoy plowing through ajd foraging in. Our flock of 12 (iirc) chickens don’t often go to the front yard, and the day before the ducks died didn’t. Only the ducks were in the front yard.

The first duck died late night after the leaf foraging. The second died another 12 hours later, with a third duck on the edge of dying. I noticed that the ducks with the highest ranks died/fell ill the fastest. We live in a rainy, humid environment and there is now snowfall in the ground (there wasn’t when they were ranting before the deaths), so the birds wouldn’t be outside until it thaws out.

Once everyone has recovered we’re going to be intruding a dewormer. Can birds be dewormed monthly?

How do we approach free ranging after this? If the leaf litter was the cause, what do we do? Should we find a way to block off access to the entire front yard? Is there a way to kill off what might have caused this? Do we have to completely destroy the grass and start over? We want them to have the ability to be outside again someday

There is no chance that we used a pesticide that could harm them. The only suspects we have are the possible mold on leaves, bacteria from gutter run offs, and our neighbor somehow being involved. That being said, though, there’s no way for him to sneak this far onto our property. Thank you in advance, I’m really at a loss here

oh gosh that's awful. Any chance of rodenticide in the area or chemicals or something they ingested other than leaves? Is your neighbour nasty? Maybe someone has more experience and advice. I'm sorry for your loss :(
Nope :(. Our yard is a solid four acres from our neighbors, and we don’t use any kind of -cides thankS to our mousers and plants. Our neighbor is awful- neglects his animals and after one of his dogs got taken by the shelter threatened to send me to jail. One of Our cats went missing recently, but that’s a whole other story.

Is it possible gutter water could have done this?

Nope :(. Our yard is a solid four acres from our neighbors, and we don’t use any kind of -cides thankS to our mousers and plants. Our neighbor is awful- neglects his animals and after one of his dogs got taken by the shelter threatened to send me to jail. One of Our cats went missing recently, but that’s a whole other story.

Is it possible gutter water could have done this?
hmm I mean if your birds were eating chunks of asphalt from the roof maybe? is that possible?

Any compost piles, etc. with toxic foods such as avocados? Any diarrhea? Deworming more than once or twice a year without testing or seeing signs of worms would likely be unnecessary and probably harmful.

Back
Top Bottom