Free Ranging age readiness

hegazi

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2017
MA
At what age are the chicks ready to free range? I'd love to let our roosters (3 months old) and older hens (about 1.5 months old) out to roam but I'm afraid they won't come back. I am just getting them into their coop, should I let them get comfortable in it before letting them out free or will they just know when to come back by instinct? We have about 2 acres of grass surrounded by woods so there are wild animals around and we've seen fisher cats, fox, raccoons, and hawks circling our property.

Keep them penned about 2 weeks. I than open the door. They generally don't go far initially. I have free ranges chicks as young as 5- 6 weeks without a mother hen. They go a few feet away initially, than as they grow they go further. They generally find a favorite spot and hang out there most of the day. I haven't ever had one not return.

Predators are another thing. If you are worried about them, than only let them out when you can keep an eye on them.

I was wondering about this as well. ours are almost 6 weeks old. Their run is built inside of our fenced back yard so I think they would be fine there. I just want to be sure they are big enough to fend off our cats. The 13 year old Boarder Collie is really just a big chicken herself so I dont believe she will be a problem. These 10 are our 1st chickens so are learning on their own. Any suggestions?

You can let them out while you're around, round them up if you can't watch them. At their age they may or may not come out. They won't go far for a while.

Thanks. 2ndary question. Since their coop has its own enclosed run and our overnight temps are still in the 70's do we need to continue to close the coop door for night? So far, we have seen no predators around and the coop is entirely wired in.

Back
Top Bottom