Free Ranging Chickens

jessalea22

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 20, 2013
Mississippi
I currently have 5 hens ( about 10-12 weeks old) that currently live in chicken tractor that we move around the yard every few days. . They have been in this enclosure for about 6 weeks now. I am wanting to let them out in the evenings after work and days on weekends when I am home. Can I safely do this at this point with my girls??? will they come back to the tractor to roost???

Most likely. What I do to train our chickens is when I feed them I call them. I train them to know my voice and I usually say here chicky chicky. I feel dumb for saying that but I couldn't think of anything else. I get them use to that sound in the brooder box and by the time they go out if we let them out of their pen and I want them to come to me all I do is get a little feed and start calling. It is quite funny to watch them come from all directions and out of our heavily wooded area and right into the pen. So what I would do is when you feed even if it is in a dish come up with a call and that way they know that when you call them it is to get fed and they will come running at anytime for that. I would do it for at least a few days to a week before letting them out.

Quote:
I just say "Here girls" and they come running.
big_smile.png

Was looking for advice on letting hens out. I have three year old rescue hens I've had for a week now and they are settled and laying eggs. So was thinking of trying to let them out by the weekend, but will follow the advice here first. Thanks.

Thanks for the advice. In a larger outdoor run now and come to my voice, or the Lund of the gate opening. Also beginning to be able to touch the friendliest one. Others a bit wary still.

They do come back home to roost on their own. It's handy to train them to come back in with treats, in case you ever need to lock them up early or in the middle of the day for some reason.

Do chickens like to have a water bath available? I am setting up a sand bat but wondered about doing a shallow water one alo?

I currently have 5 hens ( about 10-12 weeks old) that currently live in  chicken tractor  that we move around the yard every few days.  .  They have been in this enclosure for about 6 weeks now.  I am wanting to let them out in the evenings after work and days on weekends when I am home.  Can I safely do this at this point with my girls???  will they come back to the tractor to roost???

Anytime you free range chickens you run the risk of predator attacks such as hawks so no it's not perfectly safe but worth it for most people. Also they should come back if they're used to that roost but as others said you definitely want them to come when called. Every time I feed new chickens I go "chick, chick, chick, cha-cheek!" and after a while they come when I make that sound. As for the water question I've had chickens that seem to enjoy putting there feet in the water but it isn't necessary to have a bath and I wouldn't get one since most chickens wouldn't use it. I agree that dirt is more important

Back
Top Bottom