Free Ranging Chickens

I have been wondering about this also... I only have 6 girls.... But worry they don't have enough "room" in their coop/run.... I have been letting them out a little at a time. And so far have been able to get them back in pretty easy.... But I have only had then out when I was outside also... Would like to leave them out more, but am nervous about it

I have an escapee she has been out for 2weeks in all the heat, the garden she is in is perfect. With trees , undergrowth I have seen her and she has outrun and flown into trees, I have started leaving pellets and water out for her to keep her close, any ideas on catching her

I usually let my girls out when I'm out in the garden or front yard doing work. I figure nothing will happen while I'm right there. So this past weekend the girls are out in the backyard and I'm in the front watering (New England...lots of watering lately, lol). I see the dreaded shadow on the ground...look up to see (NO LIE) 7 hawks (hubby swears one was a bald eagle) LOW. Drop the hose and dash to the back. I use hey girls too, lol. So I'm yelling hey girls hey girls super loud which does the trick, both with them running to me and hawks going away.

Next time, closer supervision. Whew...

I will probably do it again though. Chickens have a right to stroll...too bad everything likes to eat chicken :(

I have 20 layer hens. I had roosters which made it easier for me to free range because I didn't have to worry so much about the hawks and eagles around here. My roosters went to a home in the country so they could be loud and not disturb the neighbors.

I still free range my girls (I just worry a lot). They are out all day long. They return to the coop around 8:30 at night all on their own. I have no problems getting them to come back to the coop/run. I just take food out with me and they all come running.

Anytime they free range you run the risk of them getting attacked by predators. I don't think there is any way around that.

Good luck!

I trained mine to come to the sound of me calling them and shaking BOSS in a can! Works like a charm! I only let one or two out at a time in the beginning but now they all go out to free range.

There is always a little risk, but if they have easy access to shelter, they should be ok. To train them to come when I called, I tossed cracked corn out and said "here chick chick chick" and they learned to come running. Now I don't have to toss anything (I still do pretty often). Don't want to fake them out too often!
smile.png

As for my 30 free range girls, after seeing a hawk above made me stop and think how to protect them a little better. I remembered seeing a TP polr type tent on here so we have started building a couple of out of old cedar trees. My girls LOVE them. I'm not even finished and they are helping me! They are all on,over, and in it. I'll post some during and after pics. Later. Oh, the hawk isn't happy!

Luckily we have too many Ospreys and crows. Ospreys and crows = no Hawks. ..;-)

I wish Ospreys and crows meant no hawks for me as well. We've got a bunch of crows that chase the heck out of the little Peregrin Falcons. They don't seem to bother those monster sized Redtail Hawks though. Was one in the yard a few weeks ago. This was before we were leaving the chickens out of the run, back when they were still babies. I was sitting under the overhang at the back of the coop with my daughter watching the babies and had just commented on how cute the sparrows and chickadees looked pecking around the vegetable garden. All of a sudden the hawk swooped down over across the yard and made a grab for the birds in the garden. He missed and landed on the wooden garden fence. Sat there for a few seconds looking around and flew off. That was my first warning that they are definitely NOT afraid to come right into the yard with us sitting there. So, from the first time I've let the chickens out, I never leave them unattended. Makes me spend more time outside though so I guess it's a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom