Free Ranging Ducks--Just Wondering?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by baileychic, Jun 23, 2010.

1. baileychic

baileychic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Delavan, WI
    My Pekins are turning 14 weeks on July 1st and I have never really let them out to free range until today...Not that I didnt want to, but they just seemed so weird about coming out of their run. Finally, with much coaxing and a little intervention we were able to get all 11 out the door! They were in heaven and really enjoyed their time doing ducky things. Getting them back home was another story, it took some time, but we did it. They stayed very close to their run and didn't go near the road.....Which is my one fear. We have about 2 acres surrounded by corn fields on a heavily traveled country road..... Do ducks and chickens know not to go near the road, are they smart enough to know better? I read on the forums about predetors, but never hear about anyone loosing a duck or chicken to a vehicle. Just wondering???? Will the ducks catch on? They just seemed so uptight about going outside their run. I would really like them to go out daily with the chickens and enjoy the yard and all the treats!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  2. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    From my experience they are not smart at all when it comes to staying off the road and not getting hit. My mom lives on a dead end road with very little traffic and she's had a goose, chickens and a couple ducks hit by cars in the past.

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    No, they're not smart about the road. Mine wander through the neighborhood and have been honked at more than once. However, they are home bodies and it takes them a while to warm up to wandering. Mine have lived here two years and have gradually expanded their range. My new ducks who have lived here only this spring still stick to the yard and don't wander any further.

You might want to consider putting up a barrier at the road to prevent them going up there. Ducks don't challenge barriers, so it doesn't have to be much--bird netting, or a low wall, or whatever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by