Free ranging etiquette

ArchersMom

Songster
6 Years
Dec 2, 2015
I should preface this story by saying that I live outside city limits, but not in a truly rural area. There's a highway 50 feet from our street. Our property lines are about the same width as in a suburb, just deeper.

So we've lived in our current house for over 2 years. We've had minor issues with the neighbors geese and chickens. At one point, I had goose poop covering my front Welcome mat and a hen flew over the 6 foot fence that keeps our 3 trained bird dogs contained for potty breaks. The hen was lucky that I went out with them, called them off and was able to pick her off my bedroom window and out of danger.

Now we have our own free range chickens in our backyard. They don't leave the property as far as I can tell. We're on 3/4 of an acre and I go out 3-4 times a day to clean the coop, give treats or just check on them. Now the geese are gone, but the neighbors chickens are scratching in front of my house several times a day. I don't really want them in a space where my chickens might be on occasion, if we leave our side fence open. But more importantly, I'm about to invest in landscaping and I don't want them scratching in freshly laid back dust.

How do I approach them about the issue fairly?

That's what I did last year after the "hen flew over the fence" incident. Our front yard isn't fenced, so our dogs aren't out there unless we are. But still kind of dangerous for their chickens.

Btw, I realized their coop is within 5 feet of our property line next to the front yard. No wonder they're wandering over here so often. They got a new shed last fall and I didn't put it together that it's their new coop. They have one at the back of their property too that has a run. But it's very crowded with I think ducks and a pig too.

May be not politically correct, but do you have a corner of your garden somewhere, away from your chickens that you could set up something to put their chickens in?

So, when they are trespassing, catch them and contain them; make the neighbour have to come and ask for them back which might then encourage them to take steps to not allow them to wander on to your property.

My concern would be what their chickens may possibly have in the form of lice, mites or diseases that they could be transferring to your chickens.

Or you could tell a little white lie that your chickens are ‘contagious’ and it would be best for them to not let their chickens on to your property ;)

Or, something you are using in your garden would not be healthy for their chickens to be scratching in??

May be not politically correct, but do you have a corner of your garden somewhere, away from your chickens that you could set up something to put their chickens in?

So, when they are trespassing, catch them and contain them; make the neighbour have to come and ask for them back which might then encourage them to take steps to not allow them to wander on to your property.

My concern would be what their chickens may possibly have in the form of lice, mites or diseases that they could be transferring to your chickens.

Or you could tell a little white lie that your chickens are ‘contagious’ and it would be best for them to not let their chickens on to your property ;)

Or, something you are using in your garden would not be healthy for their chickens to be scratching in??
good suggestions!

Maybe shape a conversation with your neighbors along these lines?

- Common ground: chickens, free ranging
- Concern: planning new landscaping, and we both know how destructive chickens can be to landscaping!
- Would you be willing to help us find a solution?

I'm brand new to chickens so don't know what "solution" would be reasonable/feasible... see if your neighbors would clip their chickens' wings and then splitting the cost of a chicken wire fence between your yards?

Back
Top Bottom