free ranging flock not excited about crumbles ect.

humphrey farms

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 28, 2012
Naples Maine
Our flock is 18 wks old now and still free range 12 hours a day. Lately they dont seem to happy with pre mixed grains and will leave their morning ration of crumbles until the next morning or evening. They appear healthy. But just want to free range the moment I open the coop at 6am..they have access to a few acres. Could they be getting their full just from free ranging ? Or possibly slowing down in growth? They are big. One of the wyandotte roosters deboned gave us 5 lbs of usable meat last weekend.
Just curious as the pullets have not started to lay yet. I want to make sure they eat a good diet plus wasting grain is not fun at these prices if they ignore the feed for more than 24 hours. Thanks.

If you are giving them nothing at all but the chicken food, then they are getting what they want when free ranging. Mine sort of go through spurts like that. I think it probably has to do with what bugs, etc. are available.

Feed doesn't go bad if it's left in the feeder for more than 24 hours so there's no need to "waste" it. In my experience, chickens that have the opportunity will always ignore their feeders on their way out in the morning. Not that there's anything wrong with the commercial feeds but they're obviously a substitute for what birds in the wild would be eating. Given a choice chickens will always opt for a more natural diet, bugs & vegitation.

Thank you. Today I opened the coop but kept them confined until they had no choice but to eat their crumbles. They werent pleased BUT I was!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom