free ranging geese?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had geese before that used to line up like a parade and go in at night, only to become VERY opposed when they got older so I finally just let them stay out as I never had predator problems there.

Now I wouldn't dare leave them out at night here. We have all kinds of predators. I don't even leave my buck goats out. The only animal not securely locked up is a BIG llama, and I put her in the yard behind the house. My geese noe fortunately have no trouble going in. I've always fed them outside their coop at night, made them all take a drink of water, then toss a small handful of pellets in the coop. They would go in without the pellets, and often do (but I usually toss in some pellets anyway) because it's what we do. I can say "bedtime" and point to the coop and they will go in too. I just can't turn my back on the ganders right now.
wink.png

Quote:
I beg to disagree, my geese would enter their fenced and fortified pen any time under only voice command. Usually they would be waiting in the pen when I would come out around sun set to close the gate, give some supplemental feed, and turn the juice on to the hot wires that protected the pen. In fact they often became loud if I had not made my visit by full dark.

Disagree with what? Once again you have only supported exactly what I said.Not exactly what you said, the difference being that I managed to get my birds protected at night or anytime I left the place, you were either unwilling or UNABLE to do the same, so you claim it can't be done? I'm beginning to think you do so under the guise of disagreement just so you can be the one to say it.Would you care to explain this gem of logic? it makes no sense to me.It is not a guise of disagreement. it is a basic disagreement. and if I didn't fear getting banned I would tell you exactly what I think of your post
hmm.png

Going in "on voice command" and/or because of routine limit feeding is not "willing, on their own" both are trained behaviors produced and continually assisted by a human.

Readers it is your choice to protect your birds or not. Your birds, your choice but it is not as difficult as Olive Hill makes it sound. I guess I'm guilty of training my geese.~gd

Lucy goose has learned the word "in". Timing, in the beginning, was dusk, so she knew that I would be out soon to follow her to the coop to shut/lock the door. I do incourage a "drink Lucy" prior to locking in goose coop but don't feed or offer treats inside...(silly duck will choke himself with out water and Lord knows we don't need the food/water mess inside the coop). Thank you for that tip Cottage Rose
smile.png

Although she would rather be outside 24/7 she does go as asked...you'd be surprized how fast they ran in while the pups where in training to not be bird dogs;)

I'll put her in sometimes during the day when the weather is bad as well. She goes...

There are two ways I have seen geese left out at night.

1.) A huge lake environment where they can swin out to the middle of the pond. (slightly risky)
2.) A place with atleast a decent pond that is also guarded by a LGD. (not risky)

Otherwise, just lock them up!
smile.png

Quote:
Where did I claim it cannot be done? Here, I'll even quote my original response right here for you to make your search easier. Because it will be a search as I said no such thing.
wink.png

Quote:
As a matter of fact I offered anecdotal evidence that it can be done as I clearly stated I used to do it myself:

Quote:
Quote:
Over time, you have posted many times on this board quoting me and others saying "I disagree" and then going on to offer stories and anecdotes about your geese that really only support exactly what the poster you quoted said. Perhaps you are not comprehending the posts you're reading and it's an honest mistake; IOW you really do think you disagree but don't. Or, perhaps you just like to be the one to say what you think needs to be said. I don't know, those are just two possibilities as to your motives, I'm sure there are countless others. I just took a stab at it. You could just tell us what your motives are and clear it up, no one knows you like you, after all.

As for the last bit, fear is a terrible thing to allow control over you. I'm very, truly sorry you are limited by it.

Quote:
Case in point about your "I disagree" but not really disagreeing, I explicitly said the very same thing:

Quote:
Quote:
How did I make it sound "difficult"? I didn't describe the process at all, not even in parts. All I offered was what was my personal decision making process for my gaggle in my situation. If you took that to imply it being a difficult process for everyone in every situation -- or even in my situation since I said it got old, but not that it was hard -- well, then I'm sorry you misunderstood, but can assure that was not my intent.

Quote:
We all are. Though I think "guilty" is a strong word. If you choose to see it as a bad thing, I suppose that's your choice. I don't.
hu.gif

And just to get it out in the open, it may just be my reading, but I sense some defensiveness/resentment in your words. If I'm reading it wrong, my apologies. If there is resentment and/or defensiveness however, I'd like to take this opportunity to let you know that there is none on my end and that I hope you can read what I've written in that light. No offense or hard feelings harbored or intended. One of the greatest downfalls of wholly written communication, emotions cannot be as easily translated.

Quote:
You make a good point, and I should clarify because you are right. I wouldnt want anyone to give feed without water because they read what I said.

I DO toss in a handful of pellets -- small pellets, and I have small hands. It amounts to well less than an ounce of food between a bunch of geese. I think it likely none of them get more than 3 or 4 pellets, since I scatter them too and some likely get lost. I NEVER feed them without water otherwise, and I also have never kept water on a regular basis in a duck or goose coop -- far too messy.

It's funny though, they are wandering in and out of the coop ready to be put up and I just say "no, drink water!" and point to the little trough by their coop. Some of them get anxious to be put up, run over and jump INTO the water, then climb out and run back in the coop!

I generally tell them until they all run over and at least dip their beaks, since I don't want to put them up after eating without a last drink of water. I think they probably know if they need to drink or not tho.
smile.png

Last edited:
Olive Hill-Clarifications
You were unwilling to continue to make the effort to confine your flock-Agreed?
I disagree with the choice you made. I also disagree with the claim that they “will not go in willingly” you seem to think “on their own” is enough weasel word to negate the first part. Mine were trained so the action is not really willingly because they were trained to do so.
Motive- to say that some of the half baked opinions posted are not shared by me. Most might be shared but I disagree on at least part. Maybe I do not comprehend exactly what the poster thinks they said or maybe the poster does not comprehend how others read what was posted. If I agree exactly, I might post “Right On” or “I Agree” but usually just move to a different post or thread.
Yes I like to say what I think needs to be said; why else would I (or any other) bother to post? If you think I agree exactly then I question your comprehension of either the post or my comment.
Fear might have been too strong a word, but I have been threatened with loss of posting on BYC by some moderators and the owner here. BTW you quoted yourself as having posted what I actually had in window #7 in Post #17
Window #8 about being guilty of training my geese was sarcasm. You could look it up, sarcasm again.
In the open? Heck yes I am defensive/resentful (and you are too or you wouldn’t have made the effort) when someone tries to tell me that I don’t know enough to disagree with you. Like my post name, I do harbor hard feelings, sometimes for years, but I admit it. ~gd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom