Free ranging guinea fowl?

Quail345

Songster
May 8, 2024
Sandpoint, Idaho
Hi, I recently got two 4 week old guinea fowl (they are now 6 weeks old). They were being raised alongside some bantams and latin hens but are now separated. I want them to free- range, but don't know if they will just run away and never come back or roost in trees? Any advice on free -ranging guinea fowl? Thank you :)

Guineas, and Quail, at two that I don't keep/raise.
Reason.
I don't have specific housing for quail. That translates to,,,, If they were free-ranging in my run are,, (sleeping with chickens in only coop I have) they would eventually split.
Guineas, also would likely escape, but not necessarily go far. They would likely seek out neighboring trees. They would very likely still stop for dinner at my place,,, and then hang out wherever they chose.
If I had a large spread of land,,, they would not venture very far from home.
I'm in the City,, with a small backyard. Don't want my birds bothering neighbors.
I don't know very much about clipping guinea's wings to keep them from flying. Something you may want to investigate into.
I only clip chickens' wings,, when I get new adult chickens, and they would fly over my 6 foot fence,,, searching for their previous home. After a short time,,, they are homeset to their new home,, and do not desire to run away. I never clip their wings a second time... NO NEED.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Hi, I recently got two 4 week old guinea fowl (they are now 6 weeks old). They were being raised alongside some bantams and latin hens but are now separated. I want them to free- range, but don't know if they will just run away and never come back or roost in trees? Any advice on free -ranging guinea fowl? Thank you :)
Read the thread Raising Guinea Fowl 101 and pay particular attention to posts by @PeepsCA.

Guineas are a flock bird and do best in large groups. In my opinion you do not have enough keets for them to have proper flock dynamics. I never advise having fewer than ten guineas.

They have entirely different instincts than any other poultry. They need a high protein turkey or game bird starter to get a good start on life.

I want them to roost with the chickens at night. We have 45 chickens, 19 ducks, and four geese all sharing the same large coop at night. Would I have to lock them up in the coop with the other birds so they come home at night?
That really isn't a good idea. You will be far better with a coop of their own for the guineas.

Guineas need a lot more "personal space" than do other poultry. Sounds like you already have more than enough poultry in your coop.

Back
Top Bottom