free ranging how to get them back in the coop

Darryl508

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 8, 2012
pomona mo
i want to let my chickens free range but i don't know just how to go about it .. i don't want to have to chase them around to get them back to there coop ...my chickens are from 2 months to 4 weeks old ...

If they've been sleeping inside their coop up until now, they will go back inside before it gets dark.
They probably won't wander too far from the coop either.
If it approaches dusk and you still see one outside, just put it inside; it'll get the hint.
Mine free range all day; and even after moving to a new State with a new coop, they still rush back inside the coop before it gets dark.

smile.png

I leave the birds shut in the run for a couple of weeks. Then I let them out about an hour before dusk. That way, they don't have time to wander far and I can keep an eye out to make sure they go back in. After a few short trips out I start opening the run earlier and letting them roam all day.
The farthest I've ever had to search is the fence surrounding the run.

i have 23 chickens i just didn't want a big mess trying to get them all back in the coop... thanks for your help

I have ten hens who are about 9 months old. Since they came out of the brooder, I've been doing the same thing. Every time I want them to go back into the run I bring out a yummy treat and yell "Ladies!" and walk into the run. (We live on an acre, and about 2/3 of it is fenced-in.)

Now I walk out the back door and they all come running and follow me into the run for their treat. They're smart, these chickens!

I typically do this a couple of times a day since I don't trust my dog to be in the yard the same time as the chickens.

When I want to get my chickens back in, I bring a bowl of chopped spring greens or blueberries. I call, "chick, chick, chick!" and they come running. Works like a charm.

Back
Top Bottom