Free ranging in snow?

I will try. So far, the few pics I have taken of them haven't been so great. They don't seem to enjoy posing!
D.gif

So, today I went shopping for a few last minute Christmas items. I got a nice suet cake for the chickens, so they wouldn't be jealous of the birds on the feeder getting one. I had left the run door open when I left and they were still huddled inside, until I showed up with the suet cake. They all came out, except for Puff, my Buff Orpington, whom I suspect is at the bottom of the pecking order. Anyway, I got some pictures of them in the snow. It has melted a bit and they preferred sticking to the path, where some grass is available. I will send the pictures later, when I have more time and can figure out how to post pictures on here.
hmm.png
Probably tomorrow. Oh, I think my Easter Egger, Charlotte, is going to lay. When I was out there she did the egg squat! I'm so excited! Got egg #5 from my Barred Rock, Magda, today. She is so sweet. Geez, how can a person get so attached to chickens?!!

Thank you :) The girls look like they don't mind the snow at all. Mine sure would love some this week i think we have had 45C yesterday it was so hot i thought i might loose some of my cochins.

Last edited:
So, I see someone else posted snowy chicken pics (debir 1966). Here is one of mine from last week. I will try to learn how to post all of them. Just have been very busy. Most of our snow has now melted. Wish you could have some of it to alleviate your drought. That is Penny, my Welsummer in the foreground. Looks like Madga(Barred Rock), Lottie(Silver-Laced Wyandotte), and Bernice(Columbian Wyandotte) in the background sampling the suet cake I brought to them. I also have an Easter Egger and a Buff Orpington. My husband Larry said Penny was in one of the nesting boxes yesterday, so I am anticipating some nice chocolate brown eggs soon. We didn't get the 2 eggs that I expected today. None yesterday either, so not sure what is going on. Maybe sometime yet today before they go to sleep. Anyone know if this is common for them to be erratic when they first start laying? I looked around in the areas where they got to free range for short times both yesterday and today, just in case they decided to lat them outside. I didn't find any. We have collected 10 to date and I was looking forward to making it an even dozen today. Oh well.

yah thanks for the pictures. Your girls don't seem to mind the cold at all. Post away any more pics you have. I feel cooler just looking at them :)
How old is your welly. I have some but they are only 6 weeks old. I am looking forward to dark brown eggs too some time next year.

Last edited:
I will have to do the math to figure out how hot 45C is when converted to Celcius. In nursing school, I became quite adept at converting all the different temps, but have gotten out of the habit. I hope your cochins made it through OK.How many do you have and what other kinds do you have? It looks like all my girls have retreated into the coop for the night, while I was just on the phone. Before dark, I will check again for eggs. Dark comes way too early on these winter days.
sad.png

All of mine were hatched on July 16 and I got them on July 18. Amazing that they all already grown up and laying eggs! At least 2 of them are. We have only had 2 green eggs from Charlotte, the Easter Egger and 8 brown from Magda, the Barred Rock. About half of the brown eggs have been small. All of the normal sized ones are double yolks. Do you know anything about that?
What time is it there?

In cochins i only have buff 2 hens and a rooster. I have young welsummers and australorps,rir's bantie cochins,brahmas and a variety of mix breeds too. Also have ducks and turkeys. We get cool here in winter into the minus's over night but no snow. I have never seen snow except in pictures. 45c is 113F so google says .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom