Free ranging peacocks?

Cwat2006

Songster
Apr 2, 2020
We are going to be getting some peacocks soon pied, white and blues they will be in an inclosed area for a few months just wanted everyone’s thoughts on free ranging them when there older we have a large property 300 acres to be exact I’m wanting them to be roaming around the house we have lots of trees all around including a large creek next to the house will they be ok free ranging and resting in the trees away from foxes

I don't have experience with peacocks, but I imagine a fox would need to be very resourceful to take down a bird that size. Is that the biggest predator you have to worry about?

My mom in NH has a neighbor with peacocks that free range. One spring my mom woke up to find a male on her back porch and she said it was one of the most magical experiences of her life :).

I don't have experience with peacocks, but I imagine a fox would need to be very resourceful to take down a bird that size. Is that the biggest predator you have to worry about?

My mom in NH has a neighbor with peacocks that free range. One spring my mom woke up to find a male on her back porch and she said it was one of the most magical experiences of her life :).
Yep we live in Australia so foxes are the only predator only if they weren’t introduced we’d have no problem

Wow. I got visit Kauai once, the island in Hawaii, and they had wild chicken flocks just wandering around. It was funny to see. I've lived in North Eastern US for my whole life, it is hard to imagine living without predators.

I just remembered a neighborhood search near me for a "naughty peahen". It went on for a week, and then they found her. We have a lot of predators here, bears, coyotes, etc. The fact that she wandered around the woods for a week is a good sign that yours would be just fine.

I am also extrapolating from my peafowl stories that they might roam to your neighbors some come springtime :lol:

If you aren’t close to neighbors it might be ok. Years ago a neighbor had a peahen that was sitting on a nest on his farm and was killed by something, likely a coyote, although at that time foxes were blamed for most poultry losses because coyotes were just starting to be around and most people did not realize they were present back then.
He finished the eggs in an incubator, and gave a us a peafowl chick. It was a male and when he got big enough he free ranged. He caused a lot of commotion. He would fly on peoples cars. Occasionally he would fly across the highway and get on the neighbors roof. He also became very aggressive and would flog us. I was a child then and became terrified of that demon bird.

If you aren’t close to neighbors it might be ok. Years ago a neighbor had a peahen that was sitting on a nest on his farm and was killed by something, likely a coyote, although at that time foxes were blamed for most poultry losses because coyotes were just starting to be around and most people did not realize they were present back then.
He finished the eggs in an incubator, and gave a us a peafowl chick. It was a male and when he got big enough he free ranged. He caused a lot of commotion. He would fly on peoples cars. Occasionally he would fly across the highway and get on the neighbors roof. He also became very aggressive and would flog us. I was a child then and became terrified of that demon bird.
Ok good to know our neighbours are not close to our house and we are very far from a highway our friend have free ranging peacocks and they do great so they should be ok

Wow, that is crazy. You learn so many amazing things on here!

They may range at least a half mile from home; that's certainly true here! Yesterday i stopped for a peacock that was standing in the middle of the road, and followed him up a driveway to a house. the lady there said he often visits, and lives another third of a mile away.
Mary

Your situation sounds like ours, we are very rural too. The best protection for free-ranging animals is a Great Pyrenees guardian dog. Be sure to contain the bird for a couple of months so it can rehome to its new location then slowly let it explore always feeding it in the pen.

Back
Top Bottom