Free ranging Peafowl?

My childhood place was kinda like in video, minus the jungle.

It's also surprising how well they can change direction. It was almost like they just tilted their body to go around a tree, or to do a sweeping from high, gliding low then gliding up really high without much wing beating if any or do something like fly/glide around a house. Males with full long tails are capable of this just as easily.

Seeing them swoop or fly around high was always wonderful, but the rare times I got to see them fly or glide for a long distance just a couple feet from the ground is quite amazing too.

I really miss seeing wonderful sights like those..

I wish my peahen was tame enough to let out. I got her and her sister as 3 day old chicks they were DNA sexed. About a week after I got them one died,
sad.png
as her chick cage was next to the quail/chucker cage I put her in with them. So she grew up with valley, gambel, and chuckers. They all form a flock and when they got big enough I put them out in a pen. I think since she was raised with game birds she acts like one. Now she is in a pen with some amherst pheasants because I'm too scared to let her out. I heard raising them with chickens helps.

My Peafowl hung out with the chickens. The Peacock took a shine to a big black hen. He used to court her, she ignored him.

I have seen my peas come from the tops of trees soaring to the ground. It was so beautiful till the coyote sitting behind the rock waiting to snatch the pea from the air but for shire luck it did not happen. As for a guinea they were not so lucky. Don"t get me wrong I love free-ranging and wish I could do it. Free-ranging is the most beautiful thing but you most have the area to do it in. There is a wild peacock flock in my town and it really depends on how the neighbors like them how big the flock gets. Wild animals do not not leave peacock carcuses just feathers. I beleieve this flock survives because other people buy peacocks, and the neighbors do not like them and they drop them off at this location which is fine with me. I have been able to track the history of this flock for over 50 years. I have a friend in Minnesota but she has pens as well. Never under estimate the wild life. They get your prize birds as welll as anything they want. I am always building my pens bigger and better. I had a bobcat peel a premade 4 piece dog kennel like it was butter. All he left was wings. I love to see pics of peacocks in flight, I am sure who took the pic of the blue that appears at the top of the home page on the UPA, I have seen other peas in flight and wish I could let mine do that. Would love to see any pics of peafowl in flight because I think it is amazing. I didn't relaize they could fly 1/2 mile until one of the younger females got loose and away she went. This is a bird I can feed out of my hand. Thank goodness she was easy to catch and she has not tried to play Houdini in a while. So all you people that can free range please do! Peacocks are most lovliest in the wild. There is nothing like seeing 6 or 7 males all fanning at the same time. I only get to do this with my younger birds. My older males just do not get along that good in smaller areas, but I have seen it on several ranches and in pics. By the way I find peacocks to be a very good snake deterrant, I have only had one rattlesnake near my house since I started building the cages around the perimeter, before this we have had rattlesnakes right outside of the doors of the house.

Best to all on the upcoming hatching season.

Gene

Last edited:
Quote:
Thats Peachick on here who took those great pics of peacocks in flight, Kat is the best with the peafowl in flight!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom