Free ranging question…

Pics
We have 3 acres that they get to free range for about 4 hours a day we have lots of flying pray and land pray since we are in the woods we have lots of structures he have placed all over the property if they see anything in the sky they usually go hangout in one of them till it's gone same with our ducks they each have a 20 by 30 ft fully enclosed run for when they aren't free ranging which is usually if no one is home we don't leave them out if no ones home
Happy hens!!!

You have plenty to read here which is great. I would like to add something that could help you and others. I put pallets on cinder blocks in a few areas to give the girls shelter. I also lean one on two of my coops so they can walk under/behind it. I also built a 10 foot long pallet thing that we call the ladder. The ladder is on cinder blocks and the girls just love it. I think the point I'm trying to make is that it's really simple to create cover if need be. Best of luck
I was just thinking today, i am going to lean a couple pallets on the outside run so they have a little cover while walking around their home. I still have no foliage cover around my run yet.

You have plenty to read here which is great. I would like to add something that could help you and others. I put pallets on cinder blocks in a few areas to give the girls shelter. I also lean one on two of my coops so they can walk under/behind it. I also built a 10 foot long pallet thing that we call the ladder. The ladder is on cinder blocks and the girls just love it. I think the point I'm trying to make is that it's really simple to create cover if need be. Best of luck
I do the same thing, we have pallets on the sides of several out buildings as well as we have a pallet wall they love to hang out on.we have lots of intentional shrub ( native plants along ditches etc. We have several clumpsof bana trees andbamboo.. they love it it

I do not free range my girls. I have 6 and 4 of them are 7 months old, the other two are 5 months. We have hawks and owls that fly over us daily. They have a big protected run (10 x 14’), so they get plenty of outside time. Anyone free ranging? I am curious as to whether I am just being over protective or should leave it as is. Thanks
Mine free range on 3 acres of pasture. I've built plenty of covered areas for them to hide under plus we have bushes along the edges that they lay under. Most times they hang out around the covered run or under our deck. I also have a dog that likes to lay near them. If you and your flock are happy then keep things like they are. I've found that everyone has their own opinion as to what is right for them.

Been free ranging for 7 years.... luckily have only had 1 attack and that was very recently. Unfortunately it occurred early morning shortly after their auto door opened. The unfortunate thing is we were in the process of reconstructing their run at the time. Which is normally where they would be held after the auto door until we come out to release them and our goats.

We do have a fenced in pasture where they range, we also have electric running and barbed wire.... but I guess the fox managed to slip one of the holes in the grid.

We've been at the property with the fenced in pasture for about a year.... prior to that, they were full on free range and we never had an incident.

Overall I like to free range them, I think they are healthier and happier for it. But yes, there is risk involved. We do like to keep a rooster at all times, they seem to be most effective in the prevention of hawk attacks.

Overall I like to free range them, I think they are healthier and happier for it. But yes, there is risk involved. We do like to keep a rooster at all times, they seem to be most effective in the prevention of hawk attacks. Roosters keep their heads up, watch, sense, Most of the Free ranging time. The reason I have 2 Roos. Lost 10 just over a year ago. Loose dogs, coyotes, altho no feathers scattered around..:idunno It happens
My roos screech crazy when there's something around. The girls will stand perfectly still. Across 12-13y, I've lost about a dozen (?) to predators. Thought I lost one, yet she came down from a cave in the sandstone rocks above the house with 5 chicks... Price to be paid for GREAT tasting eggs and HAPPY Chickens..Have Egg customers that Rave over the taste of my girls' eggs. My part of keeping the economy going..:thumbsup

My roos screech crazy when there's something around. The girls will stand perfectly still. Across 12-13y, I've lost about a dozen (?) to predators. Thought I lost one, yet she came down from a cave in the sandstone rocks above the house with 5 chicks... Price to be paid for GREAT tasting eggs and HAPPY Chickens..Have Egg customers that Rave over the taste of my girls' eggs. My part of keeping the economy going..:thumbsup
Same here.... people always ask what I do to the eggs! I insist its because they free-range.

Same here.... people always ask what I do to the eggs! I insist its because they free-range.
Seems to be the way these days. One person had to go on line to find out, if eggs ARE NOT WASHED, they will stay a LOT longer at room temp. Don't NEED frigerating. As though those of us who have chickens wouldn't know a thing about them!!:lau:old:confused:

Back
Top Bottom