free ranging question.....

I thought you said a neighbor's dog roams your property?

My dogs didn't show interest when they chickens were in the run. When that barrier was removed, trust me, I had to train my dogs to leave them alone. The chickens will most likely avoid your dogs if your dogs are penned in an area. The neighbor's dog may be a different story.

the neighbors dog. not mine. mine are in their own fenced area. not too worried about the neighbors dog cause she runs from small sounds and wind. I think she might pass out if a chicken came after her. regardless Ive been trying to keep their dog off my property because it digs HUGE holes. And my neighbors wont keep the darn thing at their house. They dont care.

the neighbors dog. not mine. mine are in their own fenced area. not too worried about the neighbors dog cause she runs from small sounds and wind. I think she might pass out if a chicken came after her. regardless Ive been trying to keep their dog off my property because it digs HUGE holes. And my neighbors wont keep the darn thing at their house. They dont care.

I'd just urge you to not put so much trust in the dog until the dog has proven that without barriers, it is still not interested. You may be right but if you're wrong...
You were asking about it all so I'm just giving you advice from what I've learned free ranging mine with dogs around.

Last edited:
Most of what I'd say has already been said. But, I want to add that chickens are trainable with food. I trained mine to return to their run at the sound of a bell that hangs from the coop wall. Toss corn in the run, ring bell. Repeat daily. After a while, they will associate the bell with corn in the run and come running to get it. This way, I can range them whenever and not worry about getting them back in. It also comes in handy to get them back to safety if there is an incident and they scatter in fear or I see a threat and want them to return to safety.

BTW, I recently went out of town for a week and my chicken sitter (someone who hasn't ever owned a chicken!) was able to range them and get them back in easily. Well worth the trouble!

Most of what I'd say has already been said. But, I want to add that chickens are trainable with food. I trained mine to return to their run at the sound of a bell that hangs from the coop wall. Toss corn in the run, ring bell. Repeat daily. After a while, they will associate the bell with corn in the run and come running to get it. This way, I can range them whenever and not worry about getting them back in. It also comes in handy to get them back to safety if there is an incident and they scatter in fear or I see a threat and want them to return to safety.

I like this idea so much- we will try it too. Now, where do you find a bell that can be heard for two miles?
lol.png
LOL

My husband bought it, not sure where. It has a rooster on the hanger, a big cast iron bell, and it's very loud! Mine come running fom far and deep in the forest so I think it would be good for most anyone. You want something like a farmhouse dinner bell.

I'd just urge you to not put so much trust in the dog until the dog has proven that without barriers, it is still not interested. You may be right but if you're wrong...
You were asking about it all so I'm just giving you advice from what I've learned free ranging mine with dogs around.

I definitely don't trust it. I just wouldn't doubt if it ran. But you have given me great advice. I definitely can't free range until I get my roos attitude under control because my kids play in the same area. But for now my 8 chickens have a run for 28 so I think they are good lol

With mine I kept them in their run until I get home from work, then allow them to free-range in the evening for a while. I still prefer this method, but I get home around 2:30pm, so that's lots of time for them to enjoy themselves. They also frequently get the full day on weekends to roam. I'll still feel better when I get more trees and shrubs in the yard for mine to hide under.

I have a 6' fence around my yard and my Easter Egger can get to the top of it. But she's the only one and she doesn't stray far from the others.

I'd think the biggest concern is predators. Have you considered some sort of cheap, light-weight fence to contain them, but in a larger space? Sounds like most birds will try to perch on top of a fence instead of just flying over it, so if it doesn't feel secure under their feet it might convince them to stay inside. And I've seen several people just run string across the top to deter hawks.

So jealous that you have so much space!

I've trained mine to come when I call. They're really just looking for the food but it helps for when you need to put them up. It doesn't take long to train them. A bell is a great idea and one I may adopt. That way my DH could get them in since they'll be trained to the bell and not my voice.

Back
Top Bottom