Free ranging question

SandraMort

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
ny
I've been letting my almost six week old rangers out a little longer each day for almost a week and they have been doing fine. Today, about an hour after I checked on them, they all decided to leave. That's right, they just left the property and went for a stroll down the road. None were hit, thank goodness, but from the quick glance at the group, it looks like they didn't all make it back. I don't know what to do!!!!! Do I not let them range? It's not a fenced in property and I rent, so that's not an option.

I suppose saying that it's upstate new york with lots of places to hide overnight could be important. Is it too much to hope that some will return in the morning? They wandered away shortly before dusk and probably got disoriented and couldn't find their way back home.

Actually it is an option, if you have room in your yard. We built a coop on the side of an existing shed. You could probably dig down deep enough to build them SOMETHING that could protect them when you aren't watching. I know what you mean about the chickens wandering. I saw a BR hen calming cruising down the street a few weeks ago.

I don't think I understand what you're saying. Are you suggesting I build a run? They already have one, but I wanted them to be able to roam further than I can afford to fence in. And as far as fencing the property goes, I rent, so that's not an option. Or am I misunderstanding totally? It's late...

No you aren't misunderstanding. I didn't know you had a run - missed that, OOPS! I understand about the not affording thing too. We don't free range ours at all because of predators - we have a TON of them here - raccoons, foxes, coyotes, cats, other dogs, hawks of all kinds, including eagles, etc. So we built a coop, fairly cheap too.

Currently, here's the situation. I have (had!) 66 freedom rangers in a good sized box stall in a barn with a door leading outside. With the wall of the barn being the flat side, I have a half circle (approximately, since it's flat panels of fencing) approximately 17 or 18 feet long. If you remember high school math better than I do, you can tell me what half of the area of a circle with a 36 foot circumfrence would be. I also have an 8 acre property, lots of space to roam. The landlady prefers me to free range them to help control the tick population.

Hope that helps somewhat!

Quote:
Sandra they sound a bit young to just let them go on their own or even to check on them hourly. What I have done with free ranging is I do it when I'm in a position where I am *right there* So if I'm sorking in the kitchen or even better the yard! This way if there is a predator or they look like they're gonna just ake a hike I can go & take care of it/them. And also as you heard them back & forth from where they are roosting at night they get use to going there so even going down the street they'll still come back to where they're going to roost... I kept my kids in their enclosed area until they got the idea that "this is home" & then the fenced in back yard is pretty big in comparrison & they are allowed to free range that during the day. If they were out with no fence I'd make certain to just keep an eye on them. My chickens are only 9 wks old but they all put themselves in at night now & it doesn't matter where in the yard they are. If yours are out yes you're lible to find them in the am just because your place is what they think of as their home/roost... they don't know anything but that.

Mine are doing surprisingly well with free ranging except they quit laying eggs. I dont know if they are eating something weird or what. I'd try keeping them locked up until they get a little older. Maybe wait a week or two, try again. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom