Free ranging questions

PoultryFanatic22

Songster
5 Years
May 8, 2018
California
How far do guineas typically free range?

Mine have recently started exploring the front half of my 10 acre property. Yesterday, they decided to give my neighbors a visit before taking a stroll down the road. I watched for a while, but decided to herd everyone back home before they went too far away. Do they have a pretty good sense of how to get back home once far?

There was no exploring today, and everyone stayed near their coop for the most part. Should I discourage them from wandering towards the ends of the property?

IMG_6447.jpeg

IMG_6450.jpeg

IMG_6449.jpeg

IMG_6443.jpeg

The first birds I had wandered, went in the road, to the neighbor's, in the fields. End result was having to restock birds.
Then I changed the meaning of "free ranging" & started routines. From the time they are old enough to take small ventures out of the brooder on days equal in temp or higher than their brooder heat, I start take them on short excurtions that led up to taking walks around the yard, using the same path and direction. Then I let them explore the garden while I work in it.
I cont. to do this even as adults. Every day our routine before I start cleaning is to take our walk, unless it's pouring down rain or deep snow. (They get kind of irate if I'm running late.) Then I start cleaning while they explore the garden, chase each other near by, graze or dust bathe in their fav spots.
This time of year, they're fully feathered adults but they aren't thinking abt nesting, and they stick to the same routine. We walk, I clean, then find a sunbeam to sit in while they run around, graze, and dust bathe. They'll venture out to go walking on their own, but they take the same path we've made and come back around to where I'm at. Even my older adults still prefer to be near where I am.
They usually decide to go back in before I do, bc they know the last part of the routine is mealworm treats. But if it's cold and I wimp out first, one shake of the jug I keep the worms in has everyone lining up and headed inside.
These guys don't go into the neighbor's yard, it's not nesting season, so they don't leave the yard. The caveat, if you haven't noticed, is that redefining of "free range" means "supervised only." I don't leave my dogs out to run loose, and after experiencing the loss from it, I don't do so with the birds, either. - I do spend a lot of time outside. I can work, read, sketch, go through my email, just sit and watch, but I'm there. Layering works. 😉👕👖🧣🧤🧥🧦
Now, when spring gets here, there are further restrictions. The hens don't get to come out unless I'm sure they've laid an egg. If I find I have a runner, I have a portable covered kennel they can go in to graze. Loose hens during mating/nesting season are notorious for leading the entire flock off. If your girls are contained, your boys will stay close to where they are and not wander off.
Long response to a short question!

Back
Top Bottom