Free ranging vs Predators; How cautious should I be?

I do think that makes sense. We have done a whole lot in efforts for our run and coop to be predator-proof, just considering the stories that we've heard like the ones you guys have from your experience! It does a lot of sense that you can never be sure- you could be very lucky, but never be 100% positive that a hawk, won't swoop down or something.
We have a coop with a small area about 6' by 2' and then that is attached to a larger run that is about 9' by 5' by 4' all of which has 1/2 hardware cloth predator skirt and we are adding more hardware wire around the sides soon-
I do try to let them get fresh grass and stuff when I can though because I will accept losses, even though I want them to be safe, but mostly I want them to be healthy and happy. - Watching them closely makes sense :)
We also have 2 dogs that do really well with our chickens and I've heard that herding dogs- if well trained to be friendly to the chickens- can be a deterrent for some predators, even just their smell in the yard. Does anyone have experience with this or have dogs that help protect your flock?
I use several dogs, four of which are herding dogs (English Shepherds). The dogs allow me to free-range mostly juvenile chickens out over several acres with very little loss. The dogs are very expensive.

I also have several very heavy duty pens that contain adults birds 24/7 and provide protected roosting sites for the juveniles that use them. A couple of very dense plum tree patches providing roosting for the balance. The dogs make so ground predators are not an issue.

It took a great deal of effort to get the dogs in working order. My dogs can repel coyote and even husky / pit bull packs because we at least match them in size and exceed them in number. It just takes so much work and time.

That said, because of the dogs and now fencing, I can free-range chickens in a manner where we can actually see feed needs and parasite issues reduced.

It takes more resources to free-range chickens. I'd focus on getting pens varment tight before expanding free-ranging that will involve more than just dogs. Grow an onion when it comes to perimeters protecting the birds.

I use several dogs, four of which are herding dogs (English Shepherds). The dogs allow me to free-range mostly juvenile chickens out over several acres with very little loss. The dogs are very expensive.

I also have several very heavy duty pens that contain adults birds 24/7 and provide protected roosting sites for the juveniles that use them. A couple of very dense plum tree patches providing roosting for the balance. The dogs make so ground predators are not an issue.

It took a great deal of effort to get the dogs in working order. My dogs can repel coyote and even husky / pit bull packs because we at least match them in size and exceed them in number. It just takes so much work and time.

That said, because of the dogs and now fencing, I can free-range chickens in a manner where we can actually see feed needs and parasite issues reduced.

It takes more resources to free-range chickens. I'd focus on getting pens varment tight before expanding free-ranging that will involve more than just dogs. Grow an onion when it comes to perimeters protecting the birds.
I probably said this earlier in the thread but no longer remember. On the off chance that I did not, I am in essentially opposite position. The cost of my few chicken losses to predation is still far less than the cost of training and maintaining a pack of quality dogs. It all comes down to risk management and cost trade-offs.

I probably said this earlier in the thread but no longer remember. On the off chance that I did not, I am in essentially opposite position. The cost of my few chicken losses to predation is still far less than the cost of training and maintaining a pack of quality dogs. It all comes down to risk management and cost trade-offs.
Your trying to be contrary is making you line up with what I said.

Hi , my yard on Cape Cod sounds similar , lots of trees and cover, but I do have a stockade fence. I live here half the year. I have only lost one hen to a hawk in 15 years and she was 10 years old not too wiley anymore. We have a covered run with bird netting , but they can leave at any time in the day. I used to just keep them in their run, but they were just dullards. They are way smarter , healthier, wiley, and more entertaining when they can free range. As someone else mentioned they def listen to crows and bluejay alerts. My best defense is my dogs. They grew up with chickens and wont bother them. I def lock them up at night though.

Back
Top Bottom