'Free Ranging' With The Flock?

It wasn't a pallet. It was made from tree branches we cut down.
I'm guessing it wasn't actually the wood that was destroyed,
but however you put the pieces of wood together didn't hold up?

There's lots of thing you can put in the run to create diversions and 'hiding' places.
Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

Click on pic and use the arrows to see more pics:

UPDATE
The chicks have gotten use to be out with the older ones. They have been pecked a few times but have learned to run away from them before they can be pecked at.
One of the chicks, I think it was Skittles the leader, tried challenging our white polish hen before she got scared and ran off with her buddies.

I recently created a youtube channel for our chickens if you want to check it out! There's no videos yet though
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcWsrPj_xx1RMUSMJA3QTDg

UPDATE
Yesterday we lost 2 of the chicks to sudden death. Skittles and Nesta died sometime during the afternoon. They were acting normal in the morning when I fed them and they had plenty of water. It wasn't too cold either so it wasn't that.

Pebbles was brought in after I found the other two dead and placed with our week old chicks. They've bonded well and the chicks copy whatever she's doing. She allowed them to sleep next to her last night. The heat lamp doesn't seem to bother her and there's a spot where the heat can't get in case she wants to be away from it. I just recently refilled their water container and they're relaxing next to each other.

UPDATE
Yesterday we lost 2 of the chicks to sudden death. Skittles and Nesta died sometime during the afternoon. They were acting normal in the morning when I fed them and they had plenty of water. It wasn't too cold either so it wasn't that.

Pebbles was brought in after I found the other two dead and placed with our week old chicks. They've bonded well and the chicks copy whatever she's doing. She allowed them to sleep next to her last night. The heat lamp doesn't seem to bother her and there's a spot where the heat can't get in case she wants to be away from it. I just recently refilled their water container and they're relaxing next to each other.
Oh I’m so sorry. How are the rest doing now?

Back
Top Bottom