Free Ranging ~worth the risk?

I'm so sorry.
The mesh portable electric fencing mentioned above works fairly well, but a determined, large dog will usually take the shock and barge right through and bend over the fiberglass stakes. I stabilize the fence with a few of those big green posts (like for chain link fences). It's more of a pain when you want to relocate it, but it's worth the extra time.
As for real free ranging, I only let them do that when I am home. I usually wait until the afternoon as well, because they are more likely to stay close to home at that time of day, and then they'll put themselves to bed without me having to herd them. I've only lost one chicken to a predator in over 15 years, and that was because I wasn't quick enough to respond to my ever-vigilant dog. Not enough can be said about a good dog when it comes to protecting poultry!
You're right, though - it's such a hard decision. We know they love ranging and they are so much healthier for it, but it is so dangerous.
Amy

I use to free range it is hard to even imagine w/the critter attacks that I ever did -
I'd say not worth the risk
hmm.png

Sorry about your loss. Free-range or not is really a matter of choice of circumstances for me. If someone is home to watch the birds then they are outside, however we never let them out if nobody is home.

The advantages of free-range birds are countless and need to be considered.
Happy, healthy birds are why we have birds in the first place.

Eggs from free-range birds are way more nutritous than pen raised birds, another reason why we even have birds.

The enjoyment we get with our free-ranging birds to us is worth the risk.
cool.png

I am sorry about your ducks. I just love ducks. I had ducks that free ranged and Mr. Fox nearly cleaned me out. I have just two drakes. I really would love to get two ducks for them, as the poor things are stuck in the chicken house all day with the hens and rooster. I know it is no fun for them, but because I love them, I keep them. Maybe, one day I will find a good home for them. It is not fair when you cannot turn things out to enjoy life. Foxes around here are just too plentiful.

Toni, I just mentioned on another thread what I've done to keep the coyotes away, and so far, so good. Last August a coyote, probably more than one, cleaned out 4 hens and left their 2 month old chicks dead, just laying around. My rooster was gone, but showed up the next day. He had most of the feathers off his left side and was blinded on the left and could hardly walk or open his mouth. Today he looks great, isn't even limping, and is able to accomodate with one eye.

Every morn when I let my babies out, I turn on the radio to the outside speakers and play loud music til I close them in in the eve. Haven't had a problem since, and I hope that the variety of music and disc jokey talking change enough to keep the coyotes from ignoring it.

My chickies hate to be kept in, and I hate to keep them in. Their job is bug patrol. They cover an area probably 50 yards from the house and barn, and
they keep the ticks and other bugs thinned out.

Good luck to you. I've enjoyed pet ducks too, so I understand your grief.

Pat in Oklahoma

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.
I just stopped a dog attack in my own yard a few days ago...and luckily no one was seriously injured (1chicken with minor injuries, and duck that was in the pitbulls mouth had a slight limp for a couple days). Truly a stroke of luck. I've also had 2 chickens disappear over the last couple of years.

Free ranging for me is VERY important, and so I continually work to make it safer for them (both my chickens and ducks). I no longer take both my dogs to town so they can enjoy the truck ride---one has to stay to protect the flock. We're also putting in a new fence (almost done), and I'm still considering putting an electric fence around the outside to keep any critter from trying to even attempt to dig under. Everyone get's locked up at night, but we are busy people, and we're not always there right at dusk. I've considered the auto coop door, but that would only work on my chickens, as my ducks do not consistently go into their coop "on time".

I feel my chickens are in better health overall by being able to free range (I know, I only have 3/4ac). They have a job- bug patrol, fertilizers, and garden deweeder/rototillers. All I need to know about how good my eggs are is relayed through this little story.....I offered a dozen eggs to my friend. Her husband first sounded like he was snubbing me because they were not certified organic nor omega 3 certified. I talked to him about my practices, so he begrugingly accepted (well, his wife did for him)--only to have him come back a week later and say......"your eggs are even darker than the omega-3 organic eggs I get at the healthfood store and they tasted better to boot". Well, I took the high road and didn't say "I told you so"- but I went home that day with a huge grin on my face-- knowing full well that a natural range diet (albeit with treats and some feed) is better than any feed formulation humans can come up with.

Everyone has to make their own decisions on how to manage their flocks....whether they get locked up tight 24/7, full on freeranged, or every variation in between. As with anything in life there are pros and cons and only you can decide which way the scale tips in your situation.
Sandra

My flock of chicken's are free range. They free range almost year round except during the coldest month's of winter and when their is too much snow for them to walk on. I have a lot of property, but they stay in the vicinity of the yard and have plenty of grass and bug's and clover and fresh air to keep them healthy and happy. During the garden season I grow extra tomatoes, squash etc..in a separate area that they are allowed to free roam in and eat to their heart's content once the plant's and fruit start to mature. This also cut's back on the feed bill. As long as I am home, I let my chicken's out first thing in the morning and they go back to their coop's before nightfall. If I have to go anywhere I wont let them out till I get back. They still have a large securely enclosed chicken yard to roam in.
Despite all the precaution's I have still lost a few to a certain Hawk that hang's around almost continuosly. My chicken's are very aware of him and know he means business when he fly's over. Some of my chickens call out a warning to the other chick's when he is close by and they have many places to run and duck for cover. My coop's are close together along with some other building's and tree's so it does make it harder for the hawk to swoop down now. So far I havent had any other predator's get after my chicken's. Our closest neighbor is a little way's across the road and they just got a new puppy last summer. Now that puppy is turning into a bigger dog and while he is an indoor dog they do bring him outside for walks etc.. for the most part he stay's in their yard, but Ive had a few time's where he has attempted to come into our yard when his mistress goes out to the mailbox across from our house. Our outside dog barks and is very much on alert to let me know when he is outside.
Ive had coyotes come up from the field behind our house to try to get to the chicken's. So far no luck for them as I keep them in their very secure coops every night. I know thing's happen in nature and some thing's are unpredictable despite doing my best to keep them safe. That's life.

For the chickens overal health you can't beat it. But others have said, there are risks involved. All ours range and the egg quality is better. We don't have the worm and mite problems that neighbors have that keep them cooped all the time. Our over all egg production is better.

Hot dogs on an electiric fence wire for a couple months and four legged predators have learned to stay away.

We do the radio trick too! Has been helpful.

Hot dogs on an electiric fence wire for a couple months and four legged predators have learned to stay away

I've loved this little trick ever since I heard of it a few months ago....peanut butter works too.

Sandra​

Back
Top Bottom