Free ranging

I've had chickens for 3 years. Always let them day range. Bordered by woods, creek, pastures and fields. When penned in the woods, they will not leave the woods. Penned up in open yard, will not enter woods. First year lost roo to dog, 2 hens to raccoon/oposum. Lately a grey fox has found my chickens and has made off with 6. The area is perfect for ambushing chickens. Have to keep them all in now. I've seen them go pretty far. Never too far from home though. They know the area well and can always find home.

Right now I let my 8 wk old Barred Rocks (2 Roos 8 Pullets) free range in the afternoons.

I was only letting them FR when I was out there to watch them but I witnessed them react to potential threats by blitzing into the underbrush and now they primarily stay in the brush so I think they will be ok.

And so far in two weeks of letting them FR I have only had a few stragglers not make it back into the coop due to getting into heavy brush, etc and not being able to see the coop but they are getting better.

We have been letting the girls and Dumplin out for 2-3 hrs in the evening while supervised. Today it was drizzling and they didn't seem to mind. they look forward to getting out and get all excited when we go out to them. We lure them into the yard and out of the woods with scratch. We herd them into the coop bribing them with applesauce and sunflower seeds. Tonight these spoiled birds will be getting crickets for their treats. As far as threats go, our inquisitive dogs have been growled at by th Roo. He also stands on his tippy toes and growls defiantly when he hears the local Red Tail hawks. They all have been adjusting well to the new environment and we enjoy the contented hens purring and investigating their new surroundings.

Fair Winds,

Bill

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom