Free Ranging

We had 2 cats when we first got chickens - one was huge - and all muscle. Neither cat ever went after any of my chickens (and I want to say I started free ranging at the about the age yours are now) and we get baby chicks every year. I do not think it is necessary to spray the cat at all. I would watch what happens and if you are out with them and the cat looks at them funny (which I kinda doubt) just make a loud hissing sound while moving toward the cat and I am sure the cat will get your message. If you are still timid about it (better yet)- hold the cat in your lap and let the chickens out so you can see how the cat responds directly (or let the neighbors hold it - kudos to you for being good neighbors!) and see if any intervention will be necessary.

ya know Nadine in Sc has cats in with her broodies.. and all over the barn.. you could ask her shes on the south carolina thread, when ive been out there there are cats all over and yes inside the brooder room with all the babies.. they get the rats and the mice but leave the chicks alone..

good luck )O(
Pink

Quote:
Thats how I introduced him the the chickens, my neighbor and I were outside talking and the cat came over to the run, my neighbor was worried and I told her it's ok. I walked over and picked the cat up and held him, petted him, talked to him about the chickens and just let him look at them. Then I put him down and he watched them for a few and then just walked off. when he comes to visit now he doesn't even stop to really look at them. I'm thinking I'm just being over worried about him. But as I said I will never leave my girls unattended.
Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I have 8 baby silkies inside. I used to keep the door to their room closed because of our inside cat. I also had 2 other young pullets inside. My 2 year old son released the 2 pullets several times and the cat couldn't care less. I was afraid more for the little baby silkies that look like they would be a tempting treat for the cat. She is not at all interested in eating them. She is a hunter(caught a mouse yesterday) but chickens are not her thing.

I have also experimented with my 7 outside cats. They have a huge beautiful enclosure that would make a wonderful space to free range my big chickens. I put my two big hens in there and they loved it. Only one cat was interested. He stalked them around for a while and made them nervous. Eventually he got bored. I have brought my older and bigger hens in now a few times under partial supervision(I am around somewhere, but not paying too much attention). I have had NO problems. Its wonderful.

Cats have been no problem for me. Now dogs....that's a different story. I love my dogs-I know it's just an uncontrollable instinct for some of them- but they want a chicken snack sooo bad. They are also the reason why the cats have a beautiful enclosure. They would also love a cat snack and if I am not always super vigilant, they will help themselves to snacks!

Your neighbor's cat may just be curious. I would watch and see. In my experience, cats aren't interested in chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom