Free "rare" mystery chick? UPDATE: New Pictures!

I have an order in with McMurray for the 12th of Feb
fl.gif
I sure would looooove a polish roo to keep my Miss Devine - Miss Clara company
gig.gif
hugs.gif
love.gif

My husband ordered from McM in November. He got Red Stars, Black Stars, Pearl Leghorns and Ameracuanas. He expected the rare chick to be a roo. He was right.
lol.png

We're the proud owners of a handsome White Phoenix rooster named Orion.

Last edited:
You got a PHOENIX?! Holy moly! I was just looking at those last night and was wishing that I could have a whole flock of those beauties. You totally lucked out!

My husband ordered from McM in November. He got Red Stars, Black Stars, Pearl Leghorns and Ameracuanas. He expected the rare chick to be a roo. He was right.
lol.png

We're the proud owners of a handsome White Phoenix rooster named Orion.

a white pheonix?! gosh I would go nuts if I got one of those! I wanted to order them later when I could set up a coop/run just for them so they would stay pure (ok hatchery pure anyhow). LUCKY YOU!! ;)

I've ordered from McMurray three times and been really pleased every time. The first time, a friend and I were splitting an order, and when I placed the order over the phone I commented that I was worried we'd get our order mixed up. Imagine my shock when the box arrived containing not 25 but 50 chicks! The folks at the hatchery sent us a doublewide with a divider, my chicks on one side and my friend's on the other, and added 25 peeping packing peanuts to keep everyone else warm. The packing peeps turned out to be Red Star roosters, each one carefully marked with food coloring on the top of the head. Those bruisers were a real handful--I eventually gave them to my neighbor, who had several nice dinners off of them.

The "free rare exotic chicks" have been fun. The first one was a blue-and-gold EE who turned out to be one of our best hens. The second one was a gorgeous golden-laced Wyandotte rooster. On the third order they startled the socks off of me by adding in two extra birds: a Millefleur bantam roo and a buff Cochin bantam roo. Since we'd ordered Millie and bantam Cochin hens, it was a very considerate gesture. I really like McMurray!
big_smile.png

WOW! They are really generous! Their customer service is unbeatable. They have always been very nice and helpful. I can't wait for my chicks! Less than a month to go :)

I've ordered from McMurray three times and been really pleased every time. The first time, a friend and I were splitting an order, and when I placed the order over the phone I commented that I was worried we'd get our order mixed up. Imagine my shock when the box arrived containing not 25 but 50 chicks! The folks at the hatchery sent us a doublewide with a divider, my chicks on one side and my friend's on the other, and added 25 peeping packing peanuts to keep everyone else warm. The packing peeps turned out to be Red Star roosters, each one carefully marked with food coloring on the top of the head. Those bruisers were a real handful--I eventually gave them to my neighbor, who had several nice dinners off of them.

The "free rare exotic chicks" have been fun. The first one was a blue-and-gold EE who turned out to be one of our best hens. The second one was a gorgeous golden-laced Wyandotte rooster. On the third order they startled the socks off of me by adding in two extra birds: a Millefleur bantam roo and a buff Cochin bantam roo. Since we'd ordered Millie and bantam Cochin hens, it was a very considerate gesture. I really like McMurray!
big_smile.png

So on Monday morning I will be adding 8 more chicks to my order....uh oh
hide.gif
I realized I only had blue and brown egg layers in my order, so I had to add some white egg layers lol

Ordered BO's from McM several years ago and recieved exactly what I ordered. The "free chick" was the same as the others. I had ordered 25 sexed & 1 roo and recieved 2 roos. Never did figure which was the free one. The roos where both BO's but oh so different personalities. From the 4th or 5th day one would stand and look straight at me even when the others moved away. As he grew he took over the coop and pen and yard. I wound up keeping him only in the pen. He would stalk anything or anyone who approached the pen & attack like a fighting cock if I or my wife went into the pen. The wife started keeping a bucket of water near the gate and would drench him to get in and do whatever and leave while he was still trying to figure it out. At 4 + years he went on to become chicken salad sandwiches. None of his chicks were ever that agressive.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom