Free roaming Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by smalljewells, Jul 8, 2011.

1. smalljewells

smalljewells Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    I am new to this Chicken thing, gotta tell you, I am loving every minute of it! My question is , My neighbors have chickens that sometimes wander into my yard. If I let my new chickens free range, will they fight?

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    If you have a rooster and they have a rooster, then they probably will fight over territory. Plus, some hens will fight each other over pecking order.

My main concern would be disease/illness control. How do you know that your neighbor is taking good care of their chickens and practicing good biosecurity to prevent disease? Just think about it - if one chicken (either yours or theirs) gets sick, that illness could spread to BOTH flocks. That sounds like a potential problem or even a lawsuit.

3. smalljewells

smalljewells Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    Thanks, I will talk to my neighbor. He seems like he takes really good care of his flock. He will probably ask the same questions of me.

4. New2TheCoop

New2TheCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Central, LA
    I will tell you this... I am new to this as well. I have 2 separate flocks on 6 acres. They never interact at all. About a week ago I accidentally got my chicken count, and left a hen out! They immediately attacked her and I had to save her. Just use your better judgement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by