Free Rooster Needs A Home --Alabama

msquill

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2015
He's a good rooster, but a lousy family pet. He protects his hens faithfully.

In the spirit of full disclosure, this rooster regularly attacks human and canine family members without being provoked. He thinks nothing of going after my 80 lb lab, or my 50 pound mutt. My dogs are gentle with him, and treat him like a puppy -- the dogs do nothing except go outside to provoke these attacks. The rooster also has been known to attack my husband and I while we're feeding and watering the birds, and he sometimes chases my 11 yr old daughter across the yard. The dogs have never been aggressive with the chickens, so this is not a case of justifiable protection. All 4 of my dogs are afraid of him, including the 80lb lab.

Interestingly enough, there's a stray cat that occasionally comes to visit and he has never been aggressive toward him. He's also never been the least bit aggressive to my mostly indoor cats. My cats have gotten out and strolled right into the middle of the flock and Calontir (the rooster) simply ignores them.

Calontir is a Rhode Island Red (I think, I'm new to chickens), and he's about 1 year old.

We live near Auburn, Alabama and I'm willing to drive about 2 hours to meet you for a hand off.

Yvette

I've thought about it. But, my 11 yr old daughter and my husband would never forgive me. As far as they are concerned, the chickens and ducks are egg-producing pets.

Back
Top Bottom