Free Standing Roost

Quote:
Small is fine, it's just that my shipping crate idea wouldn't work so well is all
wink.png

My doghouse coop is 4ftx4ft inside x 5ft tall, and I raised my first 5 birds in there until I could get the big coop built. It was fine because they got out every day, just slept inside. No issues until they got full grown, then the rooster couldn't get enough wingspan to get up on the roost, but the smaller Leghorn hens did just fine - but within a couple of months I had them an 8ft x 8ft coop, so they got a big upgrade and all the wingspace they could use! hehehe

Not sure what you mean by free-standing but this is what I put together. I basically wanted something removable when I clean but given my coop design, I couldn't really run it in the same direction and attach it to something, because that would be the doors.

Originally i was going to secure it to the floor of the coop, but tipping has never been a problem and the roost has never moved. They use it every night. Well they better, cuz it's the only one I'm going to give them.
lau.gif

My coop is about 4x4x4 too. my roost is about 2 feet high and about 30 inches in length. These pictures were taken the day my two girls moved in.

60707_img_4383.jpg

60707_img_4397.jpg

60707_img_4417.jpg

60707_img_4423.jpg

Last edited:
In addition to free standing, I wanted my roost to be moveable (I like to rearrange the coop sometimes, LOL) So I use 2 CInder blocks standing tall-wise with a 2x4 across from one to the other.

No pix, but hopefully you can get the idea. I stack them one tall for the bantum's perch, and two tall for the Large fowl. For the LF, I do put a square of plywood underneath the blocks to make them more stable. So far no problems. The divot in the cinder block cradles the 2x4 just right.

Back
Top Bottom