1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Free Standing Roost

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Carrie Lynn, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I need to put in a free-standing 2x4 roost.
    It needs to be 4 ft. long, and of course I don't want it to topple over.
    What would be the best way to do this?
    I would need to make it about 2 ft. high.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  2. RIBill

RIBill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    I would think an A-frame with anchors would be good. Straight posts into dirt would work. L-brackets could be used to anchor it to a wood or concrete floor. You can get screw type anchors meant for tent hold downs at Walmart for $8 or so if you have dirt floors.

3. CountryFried

CountryFried Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2010
    SE AL
    I agree A-frame would work well. I moved my tractor into the big coop today, we're going to let the Silkies keep using it as a nest box until I get them some made, and while I was looking at it, I thought the shape would make a really good roost. I used the Catawba Converticoop plans to build my tractor, I think you could easily adapt the frame to make it a roost.

4. Land of Lost Toys

Land of Lost Toys Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Ohio
    I don't have a picture to show you but we did a short box like a tray with 4 inch sides then screwed the upright boards to the inside of the tray and the roost board across that. We did two roosts at two different levels. I did it this way so I can slide the roosting "box" out and just dump the manure. Makes it much easier. It's very sturdy.

5. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    what kind of housing do you have?

6. Carrie Lynn

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Just a small, 4x4x4' OSB coop.
    I have an Australorp, so I want a low roost as there is little floor space.
    It needs to be free-standing so I could place it in optimum location, and have a
    recycled window that serves as a "people door" for cleaning purposes. I didn't want to give up either,
    but now have a roost placement issue.

7. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

The only free standing roost we have is a pair of old 2 X 4 sawhorses we use in one of the temp coops. Seems to work ok for us.

8. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    these are 2x4 in my coop.i used brackets from lowes and just set them in it.i take them down to clean it out.you don't have to have the middle brace,i just have a lot of heavy chickens.
    [​IMG]
    you can also bend the brackets to make them fit any angle.these are my outside roosts.it gives them more space.every morning it is completly full.it looks like they are all drinking coffee and gosiping.
    [​IMG]
    also in a smaller coop i just cut U shapes(squared actually) out of OSB and screwed them in the wall,then laid my 2x4 in them.
    hope this gives you some ideas.

1 person likes this.
  9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

hmmm that's a small coop

Here's a pic my free standing roost in the center of my pen. Obviously I wasn't taking pictures of the roost itself, but maybe you can see it well-enough.
    It's basically some kind of shipping crate, with an extra length of 2x4 nailed across the top for more space. The crate is about 4ft long and the 2x4 is more like 8ft, so it's too big for your coop, but might help with ideas???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I used brackets like dinahmoe in my first big coop, they worked AWESOME!
    My first small coop (modified dog house) had a removable/free standing roost setup, but it's hard to tell from the pic
    [​IMG]
    There is a 4x4 piece on the bottom, then an upside down L shape that forms the "nest box" then with the 2x4 going on direction and a shovel handle going the other direction, it's kindof "wedged" into place, with the 4x4 basically weighting it down. ETA: it's about a foot high. I take it out and brood chicks in the doghouse, and put it back when I want to use it for the big girls. Very handy [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  10. Carrie Lynn

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions and photos.
    I got some really good ideas from your posts [​IMG]

Tala- Yes, it is small, but I only have 2 pullets and a small bantam. It opens to a chicken yard and the chicken door will be open all day.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by