Free to GOOD HOME, Los Angeles, 7 Pet Maran Hens and Coop

musastan

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 25, 2009
Hello, was a BYC member way back when. I have pet chickens, but I need to give them away and am moving out of state. Hopefully, this is the best way to find a new home for my pets. I'm looking for new pet owners to keep the pet chickens long term. I'm giving away my whole setup and am looking for a responsible local family.

I have 7 hens, 3 cuckoo marans and 4 white marans. Only one cuckoo hen lays a good maran color egg, a dark brown egg. The others are more or less barnyard quality eggcolor, laying a lighter brown colored egg. I've had the hens for quite a while and hatched them all from eggs. Three are about 6 or 7 years old and the other four hens are about 5 years old. They still lay eggs just fine. They have never had any illnesses and are healthy.

Included, I'm giving away my coop, about 7 feet by 6 feet by 4 feet high. I'm also giving away some fencing for the run. In all, I'm giving away a complete setup.

I'm hoping to find a good family home for the chickens. As you probably know, it's best to find someone who does NOT currently have chickens, since it would be difficult to integrate these older birds into an existing flock. I'm hoping to get this done and completed in a few days. I'm located in Tujunga. If interested, PM me.

A quick pic with some of the chickens and the side of the coop.
someMaranschickens.jpg

The coop is about 5 ft tall. It has an aluminum roof from a shed. It leaks on the seams so I use a tarp over it during winter. The doors in the front are about 3 ft tall by 18 inches... Just enough to climb in and out of the coop. If needed, the aluminum roof is not "fixed" to the wall and just sits on top. You can raise the roof, if needed.
coop3.jpg

Here is a pic with the doors closed.
coop1.jpg

The "box" in front is the two side by side nesting boxes, accessible from the inside. You can get the eggs from outside the fence by opening the top of the box. It kinda hard to tell, but you would side the fence aside and open the top to get the eggs... just my unique setup in this situation.

And an overview of the outside. Note that I'm not including the rooster in the group... only the hens to the new home.
coop2.jpg

Last edited:
Here are the two nesting boxes from the inside. The hens are finishing moulting so sorry about the mess!!!
coop5.jpg

Looking in from the left door... the pics were tough to get "right" so this is as best a I can get. The roost are just the horizontal pieces about 18 inches from the floor near the two plastic feed, pellet containers. The water containers are similar and aren't visible.
coop4.jpg

Here's the best I can do for an overview, interior shot.
coop8.jpg

If I find them a good home then I too will be very happy!!!
smile.png

oh gosh, this sounds perfect for the people just yesterday looking for older hens to give a home to just as pets. Hope they see this and are close enough to take advantage...

Back
Top Bottom