freedom ranger weights info?

digbychris

Songster
Apr 6, 2017
Hi all, I was hoping someone on here has some experience with raising freedom rangers and could provide me with some weight information. This is my first experience with them, having only raised a few Cornish broilers in the past. I am just wondering if I should be concerned that they are under-weight or if I'm worrying about nothing, or if there something else I should do.
I ordered 25, got 28, and have lost one to leg issues so they are getting vitamin B in their water.
They are about a month old now and all seem to weight between 1.5 to 1.6 pounds, and what little I can find online about this tells me they should be over 2 lbs by now.
They had 25 (or thereabout)% protein for 3 weeks and are now on 18%.
They are voracious eaters and drinkers, they're very active and fun to watch. I have not and don't dare ration their feed.
I'm in north-central Indiana and in my opinion it's too cold to put them outside, but they have a large space in a barn with heat lamps that they still use even though they are feathering out nicely. I'm hoping to process mid December.
thanks for any help or input!

mixedbreeds

Crowing
Aug 10, 2016
Washington State, Coulee City
I raised some in 2016 I don’t remember for sure but I think I butchered them at 3 months may have been a little longer but not more than a couple more weeks. They all dressed out between 5 to 5 1/2 pounds so probably about a pound and a half heavier live weight, sorry didn’t write it down. They defiantly grew much slower than the Cornish cross although they ate a lot.

digbychris

Songster
Apr 6, 2017
So if it took 3 months (!!!) to get to that weight it seems like they might be on track. I certainly hope I don't have them that long. If I do it will probably be the first and last time with them. Thank You!

mixedbreeds

Crowing
Aug 10, 2016
Washington State, Coulee City
That’s what I thought to they were good eating but the Cornish x had way better feed conversion and I didn’t have to raise as long. I just go with Cornish x every year now. Some people really like the rangers but they free range them I think.

digbychris

Songster
Apr 6, 2017
That’s what I thought to they were good eating but the Cornish x had way better feed conversion and I didn’t have to raise as long. I just go with Cornish x every year now. Some people really like the rangers but they free range them I think.

I appreciate they're coloring/feathering and their activity level, and I'd hope to at least have them out in a tractor if not range. But I agree, so far they're eating like nothing I've seen with Cornish do.

Top Bottom