Freedom Rangers in Georgia - Spring 2012

This is an oft repeated mantra for nearly anyone discussing using "hybrid" birds for production. When in actual fact MOST of the offspring will be what you are looking for (as documented here). I have spoken to several individuals that have used the FR as producers and they have been very pleased with the results. The CX birds do present a greater challenge but it can be done and the outcome is a nice meaty bird. I have read sooo many replies on threads that belittle, bemoan and declare stupid anyone that would use a hybrid bird in a breeding program. These are not muley birds we are producing. As has been proven, time and again, this is a viable option. After all, new breeds are started all the time with crosses (hybrids). Many thanks for posting your work.

The plus side is you can eat the mistakes..lol

He

Here's our Chicken tractor... 1st pic is the frame. We built it out of electrical PVC 1 1/2" We used an old metal barrel filled with wood and paper and lit it. We used the hot sides to bend the top frames. We have 1" flight netting all around it. the one we just did have hardware cloth for sides to keep predators fro reaching in and through. Ours are 8' x 10'.
In the bottom picture, I have 22 egg layer pullets that are about 3-4 weeks old.. I use the Tractors to raise them up. Then they go into a hen house with a 20x100 netted/covered run and they free range during the day and get locked up at night. I'm using the tractors now for my meaties Cornish X.. I'm considering FR's, BUt, they make a ton of poop too and I'm not sure I can deal with moving the tractor 2-3 times a day for 4 more week.s My Cornish cross roos averaged 8-9 pounds dressed weight at 8 weeks...So, Is it worth the extra time for the same mess?

Great design, your tractor! I now know what I'm gonna make this summer!

I'm considering FR's, . . . So, Is it worth the extra time for the same mess?

Nice "tractor" setup you got there.
thumbsup.gif

For us, the consideration for producing with FR is that there is a well established customer base that would purchase birds regularly through the fall, winter and spring (we live on the Gulf Coast of La). In late spring the customers could "stock-up" for the summer months as broiler projects are prohibitive in the south La heat. Right now we get a larger quantity of birds and subsequently have to process a larger quantity of birds at one time. Rinse and repeat. By hatching our own we would like to have X (approximate number customer base will handle) number of birds every two weeks or so. Customers can pick up 2-4 birds each time instead of 12-14 birds. We feel that this could potentially grow out customer base significantly.

I fully agree, for a limited number of birds, the effort of keeping a flock wouldn't necessarily be beneficial.

Quote:
I think that is more of a personal preference. I have a contract for Freedom Rangers which I expect to be 4-5lbs dressed weight at 9 weeks.

The difference is supposed to be, marketing wise, that the Cornish Cross is what the big boys use and there is not the flavor, nor the health problems with the FR. Maybe it is malarkey, maybe not. The other supposed difference is that the fresh air sunshine and more exercise for the FR will give them more flavor and more beneficial stuff for the consumer.

I am not a scientist, nor do I eschew any of this to be or not to be true. I raise FR because I have a contract for, and I have my eye one a small local market where, through the FR, I can differentiate myself.

At some time in the future I may raise som CC and do my own comparison between raising, mortality, feed, weight and flavor. I don't like breast meat anyway lol!

Here they are at... it must be eight weeks, because I have a note on my calendar next Wednesday that says they are nine weeks and we should be able to process the first few.

I've lost track of how many bags of feed. I just opened another today. It has to be ten or eleven. Or twelve.

Seriously? These things have eaten over FIVE HUNDRED POUNDS of food?? What kind of feed conversion rate am I supposed to be getting?

With the new tractor it's *much* easier to move them around, so that is a relief. But I'm moving them three to four times a day, and raking where they were last to keep the fly problem under control. (As I mentioned, I really have too many in this tractor, so this part is my own fault.)

The electric poultry netting just arrived today so I'll set that up tomorrow and see how they do. Hopefully then I'll only have to move the tractor in the morning after they're in it all night.

-Wendy

Beautiful birds! Boy the time has flown by! 8 1/2 weeks already? Really?!

10-12 bags of food?! I've got to go stock up then...our 9 day old FR's are only partway through the first bag! I'm not going to Farm&Fleet every week....!

Thank you for the regular photos. It's helped me understand how they're growing, what to expect and to be able to show my four friend 'customers' who went into this project with me what to expect. Especially since we all have children and the chicks are just too darn cute for words!

Are you thinking of reserving some hens as breeders? Curious, as I've been toying with this idea - and Mrs. Mucket's posts have me thinking....what would a FR x Black Java look like? Our layer flock is exclusively Black Javas. Our BJ roo is pretty sizeable and good form, so he might be a good daddy for a few FR's. Have to see when all is said and done how big the FR hens become. Always something, eh?

I just ordered 200 more. My 125.... down to 114, eat about 10 scoops per day. They are hogs lol! About 10 gallons of water per day. I have decided against the tractor and going to a more traditional coop with a fenced in hillside for them to free range on.

Are you thinking of reserving some hens as breeders?

No. They just eat *way* too much, and I think they'd have to be confined. My laying flock free ranges around the place and manages not to get eaten. These guys are... a bit slow.

I'm not sure I'm going to do this again, rabbits are soooo much easier to process, and they remain adorable for pretty much the entire time! The chicks are cute, but pretty soon...

Here they are in their new play pen:

That's 164' of electric netting from Premier with a solar charger. So let's see, each chicken now costs... about $30!

-Wendy

Back
Top Bottom