Freedom Rangers Vs. Rainbow rangers

Quote:

Yes I would have liked to do the "tests" with a bigger population sample. However I do think that my experiences gave me a pretty good general idea how that breed was. The only varying factor I could see is if the specific breed was from a different hatchery.

I definitely agree that there are always varying factors. I tried to keep everything as similar as I can. All were fed the same food, same schedules, same suppliments, etc.

And while time of year definitely matters, it doesn't so much here in San Diego, it's fairly constant weather, especially this year we aren't getting all the usual hot weather.

At what age were you having the health problems with your Red Broilers? Knock on wood... I haven't had anything at all and we've been in the middle of a heat wave. I'm on 22% feed as well.

I know you wrote that your customers prefer the taste of the Cornish X, but did you prefer one taste over the other? Thanks for sharing so much info!
smile.png

When they were about 12 weeks + then there was obvious problems. I found it weird that there were so many problems (with some of them) and they didn't even seem to grow that fast. It seems like they put on their skeletal structure first then the meat quite a bit later. I processed some that seemed to be equal to a hatchery DP for breast meat (that's BAD).
smile.png

I'm still trying to figure out how to cook them, (I guess I'm not a very good cook) but they seemed pretty equal in taste, but I personally do like the softer meat of the cornish better.

Last edited:
I would like to hear more from these same contributors if they've had more chickens and/or more info in the intervening year. We have 105 (ish) Freedom Rangers from Kendall Fox and they're growing quite well on mostly pasture.

At 8.5 weeks some of the biggest ones are closing in on 6 lbs live weight. Roosters are crowing that funny juvenile call, facing off with puffed out neck feathers, and yesterday I watched a rooster mount a hen and do his thing, exactly like my NHR laying flock rooster who is a little over 1 year old and knows what he's doing.

I'm concerned about the amount of fighting. Today we're moving them to another piece of pasture and increasing the size of the electric fenced area.

I know this thread was originally about Rainbow Rangers specifically, but I just wanted to mention that I've found a few hatcheries that sell their own "colored broiler" that is not a Freedom Ranger. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember right Noll's, S&G, and Mt. Di have their own breeding stock.

But like another poster said, if the catalog description (ie. Meyer) matches the Freedom Ranger Hatchery descriptions, they are Freedom Rangers.

I have only raised Freedom Ranger broilers myself (and we're very happy with them), but have been thinking about trying some others just for comparison so have looked at all the colored broiler ads I could find.

Curious to see how the chickens did. We are wanting to find a good meat bird that can breed so we aren't having to buy chicks every year. Do these birds breed ok on their own or not so much? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I raised 30 Red Rangers. I started processing at 12 weeks and the final batch was processed at 18 weeks. They were all wonderfully healthy (MINUS one had scissor beak), energetic, foraged, and the remaining chickens bred 7 little ones which are now 10 weeks old. They are not growing as fast as their parents, but look just like the parents (except the few added leg feathers). I plan to continue breeding the parents to provide me all the meat I will ever need.

We have had good luck with the red ranger hens that we have hatching meat size birds. Our biggest problem currently is finding a rooster that we want to keep.

3rd year with Rainbow rangers all started in June and butchered right after Labor Day. Use a chicken tractor and move daily around 30 chickens. Lost 2 chicks the first year and that’s it. Average weight 4-5 pounds. I move them from the brooder to the tractor at about 5 weeks. This year I got 6 layers too and right now they are 1/2 the size of the rangers. All have been moist and tasty,

Thanks for the replies, I kind of figured they were the same but I wanted to make sure. Yea, meyers description is exactly the same as the Freedom rangers one but they cost more at Meyer. I am going to try my luck with these broilers, I tried one batch of the Cornish X and not only did I fail miserably but they were kind of creepy little birds with their rapid growth, lack of movement or anything a normal chicken does except eat and poop for that matter!
hmm.png
ROFL! My car is named Yellowfish. Eat and poop is it. How did you house them?

White mountain, I enjoyed reading your post but I was wondering how your findings were influenced by a small population sampling. There would be other factors to consider like time of year, etc.

I'd love to hear more from people who raised both the Freedom Rangers and Red Broilers to see if they had similar results. I'm raising the Red Broilers now (13 birds) and plan on going with a different type come late summer/fall to compare. I think I also may keep two of the RB pullets to breed to my NHR roo.
Is it advised to house the two varieties together? That would be the test.

Back
Top Bottom