freedom rangers

Quote:
I'am sorry I don't have a scales, but I would guestimate four pounds. A half breast fills our Emirl frying pan. I raised CX before and I like FR better. I think they have more flavor, thats just my opinion. I gave three of the FR to my friends. We will see what they think.

Thanks for the info. I raised Cornish-cross hybrid before as well, and I was so displeased with them (
barnie.gif
) that I am for sure doing a different breed next year. I had 10 out of 45 die of lack of hardiness. They have very little tolerance to heat and rain. I had several die of legs problems from the inability to reach food and water, even though I restricted their feed to prevent that. Your report was another "thumbs up " for the FR that I think I'll go with them. Thanks

Last edited:
Just ordered 25 since you made them sound pretty good! JM Hatchery is having a sale on cockerels this week. I am on the last 3 weeks (hopefully they pick up some weight) of some broilers, and the brooder is now free... we shall see!

Liz

Im gonna be butchering a couple of my FR roosters this week, The kids decided they wanted chicken ,not turkey for Thanks giving. They,re at 10 weeks. The roosters are good size, but the hens still look a bit small.. Ive picked them up, they are a compact bird, but heavy. Havnt tasted them yet, so the jury still out on them vs the cornish Xs. We shall see.

I just ate another FR, oven baked it. 400 hundred degrees for 30 minutes then turn over for another 30 min. Turned out perfect. Very tender and alot of flavor.

Quote:
I'am sorry I don't have a scales, but I would guestimate four pounds. A half breast fills our Emirl frying pan. I raised CX before and I like FR better. I think they have more flavor, thats just my opinion. I gave three of the FR to my friends. We will see what they think.

Why didn't you let them go the full 12 wks. That is why most people buy them because they are slow growing. If you only wanted a 4 lb'er, you should have got CX's and only went 6 weeks and saved a lot of money on feed. My FR went 12 to 15 wks and top weight was 10lbs and smallest were the girls at 7 1/2. I bought both FR and CX I really didn't notice that big of a difference other then when I let the CX go as long as the FR they were small turkey size. I do not feed 24/7, 12 on 12 off.

Just had my turkeys done at Meyers in Fowlerville mi. They close for good on Dec 3 and they are booked solid. They did a great job and they will be missed.

Quote:

Why didn't you let them go the full 12 wks. That is why most people buy them because they are slow growing. If you only wanted a 4 lb'er, you should have got CX's and only went 6 weeks and saved a lot of money on feed. My FR went 12 to 15 wks and top weight was 10lbs and smallest were the girls at 7 1/2. I bought both FR and CX I really didn't notice that big of a difference other then when I let the CX go as long as the FR they were small turkey size. I do not feed 24/7, 12 on 12 off.

I like FR better than the CX. I just didn't want the FR that big. .

Back
Top Bottom