Freedom Rangers

joadgi

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 20, 2013
We just harvested our second year of Freedom Rangers and only had 1 mortality out of 60 birds. They were active, foraging and healthy when harvested. We ordered two different batches of 30 separating them out by 6 week, butchered our first round at 10 weeks and our second at 12/13 weeks and there was a big difference in size and meat in those 2/3 weeks. I would highly recommend waiting the extra time. This year we started them with Duvert Vitamins and Electrolytes right when we got them and greatly helped with the leg issue we had last year. In my opinion there are no better meat bird out on the market.

The first group dressed at appx 4 pounds and the second group dressed closer to 6. The breast were nearly twice the size between the two groups, completely worth the extra feed for the extra meat.

We waited for 12/13 weeks and got about 6 pounds a bird, too. Had one whopper that was pushing 7, one little girl just under 5. I'll probably go back to the rangers next year, they're much lower maintenance than the Cornish X birds. Also, great eating. Congrats on your great harvest!

Thanks for the input. I had been planning a butchering date at 10 1/2 weeks of age. I think I will push that date out a couple of weeks, because of your results.

Back
Top Bottom