Freedom Ranges and Chicken Tractors

jpace

Chirping
13 Years
Jan 10, 2009
SW Missouri
Planning on raising meat chickens again this year – Freedom Rangers for the first time.

I normally (with the Cornish X) put 25 in each chicken tractor and move them as needed. By the end of the 8ish weeks, about twice a day.

With the Rangers I am thinking of still using the chicken tractors, but opening the door during the day to let them out and using electric poultry netting to contain / protect them during the day. I would leave the feed out in the hanging feeders 24/7. I know the Rangers are more active than the Cornish X, but are they active enough to make this a workable solution?

I would like more “hands off time” but not having to move the tractors as much. I am hoping that the daily time outside the tractor will give more room to spread the poop around, instead of it all being in the tractor.

Life has gotten busier and I am looking at ways to trim time, so I do not have to trim my hobbies.

Thoughts?

I cannot speak to the breed, but when I specifically do some of my dual purpose birds for meat, I keep them fairly contained because they get a little "muscle-y tough" when they get a ton of exercise. So, a little out and about might not be too bad, but a lot might result in tougher meat.

We currently have about 15 rangers and 60ish cornish. We have the electric poultry net up and have 2 tractors within it in which we open up in the mornings. Their food and water are out of the houses. I did notice today though I am going to have to move the tractors. The manure builds up just from sleeping 12 hours overnight. Though I am not moving constantly like before so I guess it's not as bad. I like having them range a bit. Our cornish move around just as much as the rangers.

Here is a pic of our setup. We have 3 different ages mixed currently. Right now they're resting in the shade so they're all huddled by the tractors.
0416181603a.jpg

I’ve been reading up on it and the 25 we have are going into a hoop house tractor moved daily. If it gets bad at the end maybe I’ll move it when I get home from Work and again at bed time. If you do free range let us know your results.

I've raised freedom rangers but always in a tractor. I use a Joel Salatin style chicken tractor that is 12x12 but never let them free range. I'd be scared of predators, even with the portable electric net the hawks can still get them. I've also raised cornish cross and have had 50 of them in that same tractor which I move once a day in the early morning. I raised the freedom rangers for years before switching over to the cornish cross last year. I like the idea of the freedom rangers but I prefer the taste, texture, quality, and speedy grow time of the cornish cross so I'll be sticking with them going forward.

We currently have about 15 rangers and 60ish cornish. We have the electric poultry net up and have 2 tractors within it in which we open up in the mornings. Their food and water are out of the houses. I did notice today though I am going to have to move the tractors. The manure builds up just from sleeping 12 hours overnight. Though I am not moving constantly like before so I guess it's not as bad. I like having them range a bit. Our cornish move around just as much as the rangers.
I sure am hoping the FRs poop less that the CornishX! I also like the idea of them moving around more that locked in the tractors - will have to see how this works.

Back
Top Bottom