FreeRange chickens & Guineas

rooster0209

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
North Dakota
I have converted a section of the hog house (no longer houses hogs) into a Guinea coop. There is a 4ft fence around an area of the pen outside. The guineas fly in and out of the area at free will.

I want a pretty Rooster for the farm and was thinking of a bantum. I was told that a Rooster wont stay on the farm if there are not any hens. So I am thinking of getting some hens. They will share the coop with the Guineas.

My question is this: Can the chickens fly over the 4' fence? it has a 2x4 across the top edges to keep it straight. I want the chickens to be free range also.

Im new and my chicks are still small but from reading other posts and the facts stuff in the beginning some can fly over 6 or 7 ft fence..so probably.

yes hens can fly over a 4ft fence with ease.if you dont want emm flying over the fence you can clipp 1 of their wings.

I have Jersey Giants and I have clipped all their long wing feathers, and they STILL get over a 4 foot fence. If you want chickens that can't get some silkies and a silkie roo.

Great. I want the chickens to be free range.

How much actual work is involved in caring for chickens? I read where it takes 20min a day...per hen. Is this right?

My guineas are pretty self sufficient. I provide them with fresh clean water and food. They have a nice warm place in the winter and I keep a heated dish so the water doesnt freeze. They wander around the yard (making noise) and eating bugs. They are really neat to have. I was just wondering about adding chickens to the farm

I have a four ft fence around my run ...but I also have a gate that mostly stays open when I want the chickens confined. My guineas, roost/free range with the chickens and they fly out of the run at will. A couple of my chickens fly out also but most don't bother. They can very easily fly over a four foot fence unless you keep poultry netting over it.

Back
Top Bottom