Freezable Recipes Needed for Sick Friend!!!

Fix extra portions of whatever you are having. If you have lasagne, casserole, stew or soups, just fix an extra dish while you have everything out. If I have an extra dish that is bound for the freezer, I usually just cut the cooking time in half, let it cool and stick it in the freezer. You may want to include cooking times and temps for each dish. I do this sometimes for those extra busy days. I can just go to the freezer, pull something out and stick it in the oven.

I'm sure your friend will appreciate anything you do. I hope she gets better soon.

My grandmother had Thyroid cancer several years ago, had it removed but the cancer spread. Its progressing slowly and she is a young 83 so who knows what may be her end. When something like this happens we usually take some kind of casserole such as chicken and stuffing or vegetable soup. Make extra of what your making and put it in containers to freeze. When my other grandmother was getting on in years we would all save the tv dinner trays or you can even buy them, and make her up dinner trays she could just put in the microwave. Make a ham or turkey, slice it and freeze in Ziploc bags so it can be easily defrosted, with all the fixings in separate freezer boxes. At times like this in life its great to have a friend like you, my prayers to all of you.

Mexican Chicken Rolls (Sunset Magazine)

1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
8 ounces Monterey jack cheese with peppers

Combine first six ingredients in a shallow pan and set aside.

2. Flatten chicken breast to 1/4 inch thickness

3. Cut cheese crosswise into 8 equal pieces.

4. Place a pc. of cheese on each chicken breast and roll up from short side. Secure with a toothpick.

5. Dip rolls into butter and dredge in breadcrumb mixture.

6. Place seam side down on a baking sheet.

7. Cover and freeze. When frozen wrap individually.

8. To serve: Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
1/3 cup butter

***Remember to remove toothpick before serving!!

Last edited:
I host a freezer meal club and this is one of the recipes we all really liked, even those who thought they wouldn't. It is from www.recipezaar.com If you search OAMC they will show you recipes specifically for freezing. By the way you are right about most potato dishes however you can freeze twice baked potatoes. Hope this helps.
Carol
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chicken Tetrazzini Family Style - OAMC

SERVES 6

Ingredients
2-3 lbs chicken breasts(uncooked), cut into bite sized pieces
1 (8 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, reserve liquid
3/8 cup butter (split)
1 (5 ounce) jar pimientos, drained
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
1 1/4 cups evaporated milk
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 ounces spaghetti, broken into thirds
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 cup plain breadcrumbs
Directions
1In large pot, boil spaghetti according to package directions.
2Drain.
3Mix with mushrooms, reserving mushroom liquid for later use.
4Add pimentos (drained).
5Set aside.
6In large skillet, melt 1/2 stick butter, add onions and chicken and saute until chicken is no longer pink and onion is translucent.
7Add seasonings, mushroom liquid, and stir in cream of chicken soup until smooth.
8Slowly add evaporated milk and stir until smooth.
9- simmer for 5 minutes (I DONT DO THIS STEP,I FIND IT MAKES THE CHICKEN TOO DRY AFTER BAKING)
10Put spaghetti mixture into a large 2 quart casserole or 9 x 13 dish.
11Pour sauce over.
12Sprinkle top with parmesan, and cheddar.
13In microwave, melt remaining butter and combine with bread crumbs.
14Sprinkle over the top of the cheeses.
15Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
16IF FREEZING, I freeze after adding the breadcrumbs and before baking.
17After freezing, allow to thaw overnight in refrigerator and then bake as directed.

Thanks to all for the recipes and helpful advice. Please keep them coming. I am going to start making my grocery list.

Blessings to all.

Dorothy

Hi all. I just wanted to let you all know that I did cook some of the recipes that you all posted and I made enough for my family and my friends to have some. They were all very thankful, even though she was not able to eat any herself, her family has eaten some of what I prepared, the other is still in the freezer.

I also wanted to let you all know that my friend lost her battle with cancer today and she is no in pain. Of course we will all suffer the loss of not having her here with us, but we are all glad that she is no longer in pain.

Thanks again and bless each of you.

Dorothy

Last edited:
God bless you for your kindness and care for this family. May you be blessed ten fold in return!

So sorry to hear about this, nothing i can say makes it better to lose a friend.

hugs.gif

I am so sorry to hear this news but like you, I am glad she is not in pain anymore from that dreadful cancer.
You are wonderful to have made her family able to enjoy their last days with her without having to worry about cooking and such, your kindness will mean everything to them as they think back to this time. What a great testimony to your loving friendship with her as well.
God bless you and your family,
Randi Lynn

Back
Top Bottom