Freezer news-Already posted this on SS

ducks4you

Songster
11 Years
Jan 20, 2009
East Central Illinois
I went freezer shopping last night from a local retailer, and was told that ONLY Frigidaire is making chest and upright freezers. Everyone else will be putting their label on them, but buying from Frigidaire. They told me that the last OTHER manufacturer went into bancruptcy 1 1/2 weeks ago. NOT trying to start any rumors but, if you're in the market for one, you might want to buy it soon.

Okay--Bought my new freezer to be delivered on Monday. The salesman confirmed that Frigidaire is now the ONLY manufacturer of freezers, the upright and chest models. He said that the only other manufacturer went bankrupt and liquidated merchandise 2 weeks ago. ALL of the other brands of freezers can only buy from Frigidaire, now, but that's because they stopped manufacturing their own years ago. He suspects that the other will probably start producing again BUT, freezers sell fast and there's gonna be maybe 6 months of shortage. That translates to this: you may have to order and wait about a month to get one until the middle-end of 2010.
(I'm copying and pasting this to SS and TEG, too.)

Good tip.
smile.png

I found this list that shows who manufactures for other brands. It's not freezers only, but some of the brands do list which types of appliances. I know that Haier makes/made freezers and I haven't heard of them going out of business, but they aren't on the list.
hu.gif

Edit: Helps if I actually put the link.
roll.png
Sorry!
lol.png

http://www.appliance411.com/purchase/make.shtml

Last edited:
I figured freezers were just like washig machines, dryers, fridges, microwaves and ovens. Virtually none made in USA any more. And all made by 17 ( or whatever) chinaman companies.

can't believe that frigidaire is the only company

We have our Frigidaire upright freezer since 1999 and it's still going strong. Those things last forever.

What company was this that is/has filed for bankruptcy? I can't seem to find anything online....

Hmmm, I bought two chest freezers in the past week and no one at any of the stores I shopped at heard anything at all about a "freezer shortage". They had several options to choose from and they all had them in stock.
I walked in, paid cash and walked out with my freezers.

I've been after a mini kenmore chest freezer and they just went utterly out of stock in the last week. Completely and totally, none to be found in the entire state. I figured that it was Xmas. eek.

Back
Top Bottom