freezing grasshoppers

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by swamy, Oct 6, 2011.

1. swamy

swamy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2011
    We have a huge crop of grasshoppers and crickets in the tall grass areas of our acreage. Good or bad idea to harvest several hundred and freeze them for a winter snack? Pretty sure we could get 500 or so in a couple of hours.

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I don't know much about grasshoppers but that sounds like that would be a good idea. [​IMG]

3. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I froze a bunch of Japanese beetles for my girls. I would think grasshoppers would be even more yummy. And crunchy!

4. Al Gerhart

Al Gerhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    Oklahoma City
    Here is an old farm boy trick. Go out in the morning right at daylight before the dew has cleared and you can just pick them off the weeds. They can't move till they warm up. We used to shove them in glass coke bottles, stopper it up with a wad of grass, and go fishing!

5. swamy

swamy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2011
    LOL. Ok then, these are big old iowa cornfed grasshoppers, [​IMG] So I think they'll make a great treat....now, time for a recon mission on the kid's butterfly nets. [​IMG]

Thanks Al, never thought to do that...makes a lot of sense.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

"Roundworms are passed from bird to bird by directly ingesting the parasite egg in fecal contaminated feed, water, or litter, or by eating grasshoppers or earthworms carrying the parasite."
    from
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm015

Just wanted to let you know!

My girls eat earthworms all the time, no stopping it, but wanted you to be informed.

7. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    Hmmmm, that is fantastic. Mine are constantly running around after them. They are just about gone now, but I'll have to remember that for next year. Only problem I can see is cleaning the spaghetti sauce off the ceiling when my wife opens the freezer and a bag of hoppers falls out...

Man she is gonna kill me...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by