Freezing in 3 nights Hens stuck in run

HensInTheForest

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
Minnesota
Ok so bear with me.

Hubbie waited til this week to build the coop due to heat it was 90 just last week here the last few weeks super warm And muggy.

Coop was to be done this weekend but he threw his back out yesterday building said coop. I doubt this will get done now for another week.

They have been in the run since 8.1 it rocks fully roofed but not wrapped yet for winter wind. Was going to do that in Early Oct. It rained a lot today in the 50s they seem just fine the roof is extended. No one is wet.

Lows coming at us now are 46, 38, 31, then 41, 51 It warms up again with highs in the low 70s.

Will they be just fine at 31? It will be dry the next few days no rain after today. Im more concerned about the leghorns than the others we have orps, brahmas, Faverolles, Easter egger, starlight greens, Marans, lots of feathered feet will be warm!

There are 21 birds at about 24 weeks they gather together on the long roost as a group. I can go out there with my red light and push them together more ha ha ha for one or two nights.

Run floor is dirt and sand. I have bales of shavings I could toss in There but it’s so big they would just scatter them out thin, was saving for coop and didn’t really want them sleeping on floor. Not sure they even would they like their roosts. No leaves have fallen yet to add.

If I say change gears and wrap the run coop completion will get delayed more . . . .

Will they be Ok that one cold night? 31 and 38?

Run is built behind a large shed it acts like a wind block. Wind doesn’t blow really at all back there thank goodness for that one.

First flock mama trying not to over think things or over worry.
Im kinda pissed this coop isn’t done yet, and have deleted all my crabby comments about said issue. It’s been 23 weeks :he

Thanks for your advice!

I agree - they will be fine. Probably better - fresh air is more important than warm. Dry is more important than warm. Wind protection is more important than warm.

People tend to want to close their chickens up tight when they first get started... and that leads to frost bite, poor air quality and damp chickens. Think of being in an unheated car with a bunch of people. Almost immediately the windows fog up and things get damp.

What you want is good wind protection, a great deal of space above their heads when they are on the roost. And ventilation.

Don't worry about warm, worry about dry.

Mrs K

Probably better - fresh air is more important than warm. Dry is more important than warm. Wind protection is more important than warm.
These three things = WARM.
That is something many people, even more experienced chicken keepers, fail to fully grasp.
The first time I really appreciated how true this is was a night when I went out to do head count in my first coop and saw that 2 birds were missing. This was in December and it was in the 20s with a good enough breeze to make my fingers start to feel numb.
I found (the 2 Leghorns) perched out in the open on the edge of a pallet that was leaning up against a wood saw horse. I reached over and grabbed the first girl (whose feathers were slightly fluffed out) and my cold stiff fingers plunged straight in down to her skin and MAN was it toasty warm in there! I'm sure she didn't appreciate my cold digits on her but that was the day I really got it.

People tend to want to close their chickens up tight when they first get started... and that leads to frost bite, poor air quality and damp chickens.

Mrs K
Yep. I did that. Every spring I had chickens with respiratory problems and frostbit combs and wattles. Then I read here on BYC to give them plenty of ventilation. Keep them dry. It has made a world of difference in their health.

Back
Top Bottom