Freezing in Pennsylvania

Temps are supposed to plummet to well below zero tonight from today's fifties. I'm going to break down and put a brooder lamp in there for the night. I don't use straw but sand/pdz so I'm not too worried about a fire. Unfortunately, I don't have a garage with enough space for 6 full grown hens.

It went down to four below last week and a couple of my girls got frostbitten comb tips. Neosporin, and bag balm have since been applied to all the girls combs so hopefully that will prevent further damage. I was bringing them in the house one at a time to check their combs, give a cuddle and warm them up. I think they were going back and reporting because by the third hen, they were lining up to come inside. Usually I have to trap and grab the leghorns as they don't like to be held.

"After a reprieve from the arctic air over the weekend, it will return to CNY with a vengeance Monday. Temperatures will fall all day Monday to near 20 by evening. Wind chill temperatures will be even colder than last Friday, later Monday night and Tuesday morning, with readings of 20 to 30 degrees below zero."

Back
Top Bottom