Freezing Mashed Potatoes?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by KristyHall, Jun 7, 2011.

1. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    does anyone freeze heir extra mashed potatoes? Is it any good? I have extra and I don't want it to go bad

2. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Left over mashed potatoes??? What is that????

I have made potato pancakes (that was before I quite peeling them), add self rising flour or equavalent and egg, fry in skillet in butter.
    I have also used them to make a casserole we like which has potato topping with grated cheese on top. (I brown ground beef, onion, garlic, season with salt and pepper. Drain, add drained canned green beans, dry basil and tomato soup, mix, place in greased casserole, put 'taters on top and bake until bubbly and cheese is melted.

I have never frozen them. They do last a few days in the fridge and reheat nicely in the micro wave or add a little milk and heat on top of stove, low heat, stir often.

3. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    YES! I have, and if you add a little butter and a spash of milk and the put under a mixxer, they are great. I did food saver them incase I didn't use them quick but you always need a quickie meal and they were used in a week. I've been meaning to make extra when I make mashed and just keep on forgetting.

4. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    I have frozen mashed potatoes, it's a whole lot better than throwing them out but they are not as good as they were.

We have bought them ready made at the grocery store on occasion, in the black plastic trays, and they are delicious after thawing. I suppose they have better processes and/or additives to make them freeze better.

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    If you notice, frozen dinners with mashed potatoes in them almost always have some sort of gravy on them. That's because they don't freeze well. They come out kind of grainy when reheated but they will freeze ok, they just won't come out smooth like they were the first time.

6. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    Our chickens go CRAZY for mashed potatoes! So if you try freezing them and don't like them, the chickens will love you just that much more!

7. QH Girl

QH Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I love mashed potatoes and try to make enough to freeze every time I make them. I add a raw egg when I heat up the butter/milk/broth. Idk why, but it makes them freeze so much better and it doesn't change the taste of the mashed potatoes at all.

8. ftwchopper

ftwchopper Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2009
    woodstock connecticut
    You can also use left over mashed potato to make potato pancakes or italian gnocchi..........

9. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    never any that remain after the wife makes the next nights dinner LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by