Freezing temps - should I keep chickens in coop?

I'm glad to hear that you have not lost any additional birds. I'm not sure you can contribute the ones that passed away to a big temperature swing. There must have been something going on with them before this. Days in KS are like that all the time. 0 to below zero temperatures in the morning to 40 degrees by afternoon. They say the color of their comb (how bright red it is) is a good gauge of health, unless they are molting. I keep an eye on their comb and only investigate when it see it's turning colors other than bright red. I'm sure you already know that, though.

I hope you found help on the BYC website.

When our year old Border collie pup died at the vets office, they did an autopsy on her to figure out what was wrong since they couldn't figure it out through testing before hand. Come to find out, she had some type of liver disorder that didn't allow her to digest proteins from her dog food, so she was eating grass and apples from under our tree and getting thinner and thinner as time went by. There wasn't anything we could have done to save her since it was a genetic thing, but the autopsy helped us realize it wasn't anything we had or had not done for her that caused her death. It gave us peace of mind in our sadness from her passing. Plus the vet wanted to know what it was as a preventative measure against something that might have been passed from animal to animal. Knowing it was not our fault was worth the additional expense of the vet bill. If you lose any more chickens, you might want to consider having an autopsy performed so you can know for sure what the problem is.

Just a thought to consider
RosieinKS

Ive maintained it for right now. I think because the temp went from 50 to 0 in 24 hours, they got very sick and died...

Unfortunately I think your problem may be more serious than the temperature change. We've had two 50 degree temp changes in the past 10 days (Colorado) and my chickens acted exactly the same as any other day - much to my surprise. They were cheerful and eating throughout. I'm so sorry and hope your chickens feel better soon!!

I agree with those who are worried that you might have something else going on. In November we went from 60 degrees to 19 over night and were down to -14 the following day, with snow, in 36 hours. No effect on my chickens whatsoever. I would encourage you to look a little deeper than what might have seemed to be the only change in their living conditions, just to ease your mind and protect your other chickens.

I try to give my chickens entertainment when the weather is crappy (snow on the ground) freezing rain today. You can see the remnants of a hanging cabbage, a Purina flockblock in the coop itself. Today they were only interested in fighting over dry spots in the dirt to dust bathe! We close the "Pop" door only when its below 10 degrees to keep the heat in. I do keep a caged heat lamp on which basically raises the temp only about 10 degrees. If its below 30 and windy, they don't come out at all!

I'm glad to hear that you have not lost any additional birds. I'm not sure you can contribute the ones that passed away to a big temperature swing. There must have been something going on with them before this. Days in KS are like that all the time. 0 to below zero temperatures in the morning to 40 degrees by afternoon. They say the color of their comb (how bright red it is) is a good gauge of health, unless they are molting. I keep an eye on their comb and only investigate when it see it's turning colors other than bright red. I'm sure you already know that, though.
Thanks for this, I have one that is molting and her comb and waddles are pale pink. I was starting to worry that she was sick, but she acts fine, so thank you!

I use the temp/sunshine/someone home method. Yesterday was a high of -9, sunny and I left the house at 6:45. The ladies stayed in until someone came home about 4:00. Today is going to be a balmey 9 degrees, sunny, and I'm home until 2. Ladies will go out when it gets light. 5 minutes ago. I must type faster. I have a too small, too crowded coop (6'x6') with an oil heater that goes on if it's going to be -10 or colder at night. With 6 chickens and two turkeys it stays about 20 degrees warmer than outside without heat. The only real problems I have is some egg eating from boardem and poo. Lots of poo. Turkeys poo a LOT!!. I have perches and shelves so the floor space is increased a bit. This has been a mild winter so the door has been open all but two or three days.
Next year I hope to have a bigger coop (more chickens?) and a better set up. Oh ya. I love in NW MN where we go sunbathing when the temp hits 32.:)

I just spent some quality time with the flock. They still won't come out and the shower curtain enclosed run is considerably warmer than the snow covered yard!

One did fly 15 yards from her inside perch to a raised bed outdoors... Perfect landing even in the snow.

I hope you found help on the BYC website.

When our year old Border collie pup died at the vets office, they did an autopsy on her to figure out what was wrong since they couldn't figure it out through testing before hand. Come to find out, she had some type of liver disorder that didn't allow her to digest proteins from her dog food, so she was eating grass and apples from under our tree and getting thinner and thinner as time went by. There wasn't anything we could have done to save her since it was a genetic thing, but the autopsy helped us realize it wasn't anything we had or had not done for her that caused her death. It gave us peace of mind in our sadness from her passing. Plus the vet wanted to know what it was as a preventative measure against something that might have been passed from animal to animal. Knowing it was not our fault was worth the additional expense of the vet bill. If you lose any more chickens, you might want to consider having an autopsy performed so you can know for sure what the problem is.

Just a thought to consider
RosieinKS
sorry for the lost of your pet I know how that feels

Back
Top Bottom