Freezing temps - should I keep chickens in coop?

jimandcaitlin

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 10, 2014
We have a cold front coming in and it's going to be way below freezing all week. I hate keeping them cooped up, but I'm worried about them getting frostbite or worse. Should I kepe them in the coop until it warms up? It will be back into the 20's by Friday, so it would just be for a few days. Thanks!

Chickens know more about being a chicken than people do. Let them make the choice. A LOT of bad behaviors start when people keep chickens too close together. Unless your coop is HUGE, space is more important than temperature. If they get cold, they will go in out of the wind. Trapping them in there is not a good idea.

Mrs K

am I correct that none of you in these cold temperatures are running heat lamps in the coop itself? I am also in New Hampshire and we're headed to below 0 temps tomorrow and tomorrow night but I'm just wondering if I should put a little extra heat in there for them on these evenings where it gets super cold? My flock have not had heat since they were checks in the spring as I wanted them to acclimate to the NH winters. I just don't know how cold is too cold. Thanks all!
If you have not used heat yet, don't. Your chickens acclimate by growing extra feathers and down. Just like other animals grow a thicker coat of hair for the winter. I live in MN, and the temps get down into the teens to twenty below, sometimes it will bottom out in the -30's. (Thankfully not for too many days in a row!) My chickens have survived it. Consistent temperatures, even if they are cold, are less stressful for your chickens to deal with. Try this: put on all your outdoor gear - coat, hat, mittens, scarf, snow pants and boots. Go outside for an hour. Half an hour if it's really cold. Now, come back in and leave your gear on in your nice warm house. Leave it on for at least an hour. Your chickens don't get to take off their coats. They are not feathered little humans. Another thing to think about - all the little songbirds that survive the winter without shelter or heat. They are equipped to do so, just like your chickens.

We also add heat for our ladies, but not inside the coop per se... We have a raised coop that opens out into a covered run. Underneath the coop is a large sandbox. The outside of the sandbox area is surrounded by hardware cloth and window sashes. It is also partially enclosed on the side that is inside the run. Basically it is almost entirely closed in with maybe a 2 ft wide by 4 ft tall opening. We have a heat lamp securely bolted to the underside of the coop to heat up the sand so it does not freeze. (Never just rely on the clamp for a heat lamp). The heat keeps the sand slightly warm, keeps the outdoor waterer from freezing, and also sends the heat directly up to the coop floor. This means that temperatures in the coop hover in the 30s-40s while temperatures outside are in the 20s. This is perfect because the coop water and eggs won't freeze but the birds won't have to deal with a huge temperature differential, which can kill them if too extreme. Plus, then the girls get to choose whether they want to go into the sandbox or not. (And sand isn't going to light on fire.)

Another thing we do that they seem to like is cover the A-frame part of the run (and slightly below). There is a roost running the length of the run that is not exposed to any drafts because it is covered with plastic. They get to sit there outside without being in the snow and wind. They normally go inside when it gets dark, but I went out there tonight to shut the coop door and found them all huddled on the outdoor roost.

On super cold nights, I throw some scratch or meal worms in the coop. They will expend energy and generate heat scratching around for the food and the high carb or high protein snack makes their bodies burn more calories (and generate more heat) in digestion.

But more important than temperature as everyone says is humidity. We have a temperature and humidity tracker - our happy zone is between 40% and 60% humidity. If it's higher than 60% humidity and it's not raining, something is wrong. I clean out droppings nightly and make sure to keep my head inside the coop for a few minutes to ensure that I cannot smell any ammonia. Despite it's solid appearance, we have ventilation slits placed around the coop that air circulates without being drafty. So far, we've had no frost bite even when temps drop below freezing inside the coop (yes, it happens).

Pictures below are from before we covered the top and a bit of the run with plastic to block rain and wind. (And yes, that wire in the picture below was later secured.)

Oh no, mine have a chicken door that is open all the time, by saying they are staying in I meant they are choosing to stay in, not that I've kept them in, didnt mean to confuse you guys!

Last edited:
My chicken coop pop door is always open.... They wander out in the morning and stay out until sunset... even when the temps are 12 degrees.... they know what to do... they are naturally "wild" birds... I would let them decide where to be....

I too leave the door open 24/7.

They decide, it's rarely unanimous.

Some stay in, some venture out.

Even happens on days that I won't venture out...

Funny, I'll be running out to make sure they're ok, and they'll be looking at me like I'm crazy...

I kept them in yesterday when it was really bitterly cold, but today I opened the coop. It's snowing today, but a bit warmer so I figured I'd give them the option for some fresh air. One of them walked out down their ramp, got about half way, then turned around and ran back inside lol. I just don't want them to get frost bite or anything, but I put their food and water inside the coop so they don't have to go outside in the cold snow if they don't want to.

Keep frostbite at bay by applying a layer of bag balm or Vaseline to their combs and wattles. Also important and also overlooked is keeping feet and shanks moist. (Again, apply BB or Vaseline) Feet that are not moist can crack. Open cuts invite bacteria and may lead to infection and the dreaded bumblefoot. In my experience, as long as combs and wattles are protected, let them play outside. They will let you know if it's too cold by staying in the coop!

Last edited:
People may disagree with me but I add a little heat when temps dip into the teens. I LOVE the heat lamps with the caged fronts and durable plastic. (Premiere 1 sheep supply) they are the safest lamp I have found hands down. All my flocks (bantam & SF)are all given a little heat and they are all productive and active. I know some disagree but it works for my flock.. I also check on them 8.000 time a day! (Ok, I may be exaggerating a tad):/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom