Low night temps

Beccichka

Chirping
Feb 22, 2023
Our night temps are usually in the 20's and around 30, but at the end of the week, we will hit 0 degrees. I have 4 Buffs, 4 Barreds, 1 Red, 1 Bantam Ameraucana, and 1 Bantam Ameraucana Rooster. They have been fine with no adjustments this far, but I am concerned about the cold snap. Should we add a heating lamp? If so, where should we position it, and at what height? Most of the chickens sit near each other on the perches, but one of the bigger chickens sits alone on the opposite end of the coop. I don't want to put the light right above where they huddle in case they don't need it or get too warm, but if I put it over another part of the rods, will they go there if they are cold? Thoughts? Our coop is 8x8 and the peak is 6 ft.

Should we add a heating lamp?
Not needed.
Just make sure they are out of any direct wind and have plenty of liquid water and a good chicken ration.
How long is the cold snap supposed to last?
I give a dose of electrolytes every 2-3 days during cold snaps.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-extreme-weather-spiel.75893/

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1704883567773.png

I understand your concern about frigid temps. I go through the same thing every winter. It's not unusual for the temperature to dip well below zero and with wind chills in the negative double digits here in the flat land of northern Iowa.

But I have never used heat lamps, and my chickens have been fine. I agree with @aart -- as long as your birds are out of direct wind, have good feed and especially thawed water, they be okay. I suspect you, like me, will still worry anyway.

I assume you keep plain water available too? (The article mentions providing plain water along with electrolytes in hot weather, but I didn't spot that in the section on cold weather.)
They use horizontal nipples in the coop all year round, very successfully I might add.
But I put the EL out in an open gravity waterer in the run during summer, they drink it up pronto. They also gobble up the EL soaked oats in the coop in winter.
No need to remove regular waterer.

They use horizontal nipples in the coop all year round, very successfully I might add.
But I put the EL out in an open gravity waterer in the run during summer, they drink it up pronto. They also gobble up the EL soaked oats in the coop in winter.
No need to remove regular waterer.
You put water and food in the actual coop? We haven't done that since they have been fully feathered. They seemed to only drink when they would come out to the run. When it turns dark, they go in and roost.

I understand your concern about frigid temps. I go through the same thing every winter. It's not unusual for the temperature to dip well below zero and with wind chills in the negative double digits here in the flat land of northern Iowa.

But I have never used heat lamps, and my chickens have been fine. I agree with @aart -- as long as your birds are out of direct wind, have good feed and especially thawed water, they be okay. I suspect you, like me, will still worry anyway.
Do you put the food and water in the coop?

Not needed.
Just make sure they are out of any direct wind and have plenty of liquid water and a good chicken ration.

Not needed.

View attachment 3722961
Screenshot_20240110-075618__01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom