Freezing temps - should I keep chickens in coop?

I also use a heated dog water bowl and it has worked well here in Missouri too. Our temp got down to 2 last week and our chicks had warm water throughout the cold spell. I did wrap the cord in black electrical tape because it runs through a bright, shining silver coil and I was afraid the chicks would peck at it. They don't seem to notice it at all.

hello in Rolla you are the first person that I have found who lives as close to me yes I all so use the heated dog bowl this year was the first it worked out greet I live in Holts Summit Mo.

such great ideas. My chickens are not near a power source. I use cut out 1 gal. milk jugs. filled with water. they get one in the am 7:30 temp 0%-5% and then b4 I leave for work. 2pm. When it freezing but not to the current extreme, I just switch out the jugs daily. in the big coop and I use cut out 2 liter bottles in the small coop. The one not in use is sitting in the heated dog dish that's set out for the local cats and wildlife. The henny pennies seem to be doing great. 11 hens 9-10 eggs daily. (one of my easter eggers is not laying???) Usually the hens are out in pen by 7:30am unless alot of snow rain wind may keep them in. during last weeks storm they where all still in till the storm stopped then they came out. I did put water inside for that morning and there is a treat block in coop feed is all outside.

I wrote to another associate regarding Hydration of the flock during extreme cold.
What worked for me: Adding CHIA Seed to the layer feed (in small amounts) . I know the seed has great nutritional value, however; a small amount swallowed with water by humans has the effect of retaining fluids for a long period of time.
Long distant runners use Chia Seed to keep them hydrated and they can run for a long period of time without dehydration.
I tried that with my Girls when the water founts iced over at night.

What happens is the seed attracts the water and holds fluids during digestion. So far the hens seem to be doing well and I have not seen any disadvantage to this process. My chicks are fond of the Chia greens that I grow in small trays.
That all started with a Chia Pet placed into the brooder when the blades of Green were about 1/2 inch high. I don't know if anyone has done this before, but so far so good.

such great ideas. My chickens are not near a power source. I use cut out 1 gal. milk jugs. filled with water. they get one in the am 7:30 temp 0%-5% and then b4 I leave for work. 2pm. When it freezing but not to the current extreme, I just switch out the jugs daily. in the big coop and I use cut out 2 liter bottles in the small coop. The one not in use is sitting in the heated dog dish that's set out for the local cats and wildlife. The henny pennies seem to be doing great. 11 hens 9-10 eggs daily. (one of my easter eggers is not laying???) Usually the hens are out in pen by 7:30am unless alot of snow rain wind may keep them in. during last weeks storm they where all still in till the storm stopped then they came out. I did put water inside for that morning and there is a treat block in coop feed is all outside.

I run a 100 foot cord to two chicken house I have heat lamps in there and I have 2 heated dog bowls in there really the way to go I have 32 chicken and order 15 Easter chickens o boy I will really have chicken now

I read all the replies for keeping Gertrude and friends warm. It will get around 30 (that's cold here!) and my wife says better go close the chickens in the hutch so they don't get cold Well it got down to 29 and in a.m. all was well. No ice or snow. Kinda mild this winter with 26 inches of rain. no snow. Then I see what you all in the Midwest and East put up with and I know we are spoiled; as are our chickens Take care!

Back
Top Bottom