Freezing temps two separated from flock

Honestly if they have been slowly accustomed to the dropping temperatures, meaning they have been outside when it was 90 then going down from there (even if it jumped from 80 to 60 in a couple of nights) they would be fine because they are 4 months old. I started bringing my chicks outside in the spring when it was starting to go up to the 70s from the 60s and only brought them in at night, then kept doing that so by the time they were a month old they could handle high 60s pretty well.

it can be even more drastic than that. We had a freak frost a month or so ago. 80* one day down to 33*, killed all our tomato plants. Mine were about 4 maybe 5 months at the time. After about 4 to 6 weeks, you really don't need to worry about cold, when I say cold I mean down to 0. They puff up and don't move, that trapped air is magical insulation.

Last edited:
wyododge...................the south sucks...................I am from california.............have been stuck in florida for 25 years and everyday. I am trying to find a way to leave this swamp.
my kids are almost grown, we have been searching from state to state, trying to find a place to live...
so far colorado seems the nicest..........................still have many more places to go .............just got back from a camping trip, fl. to n.m..
Sorry ya'all but the south really sucked.............."just my opinion" louisianna was worst....... Texas was best. But still not ideal........
too much desert........too much attitude.........no jobs........rude people..............smelly towns..........yuk

That's why we will buy acreage. We have 70 now, probably look for something like 30 when we move on. Definitely close to the beach though.

Sure will be nice to not have to worry about a car breaking down and freezing to death in 15 minutes though...

Back
Top Bottom