Freezing Vegetables?

Lexiluke

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 13, 2012
I am a high school teacher and have just struck a sweet deal with the food services manager. She is going to start giving me a 5 gallon bucket of vegetable scraps each day in return for the occasional dozen eggs. My question to you experienced chicken people is "can I bag the extra veggie slop and freeze it for future feeding?" With school ending in less than a month, I would not have the opportunity to get this luxury feed until September, but I could store enough in the freezer to ration it out on a daily basis during the summer. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks in advance.

I freeze old vegetables for my chickens and in the summer I just give it to them frozen they love it that way. I just buy buy cheap freezer bags and I even reuse the bags

yes, you can freeze the veg no problems. It will actually keep better frozen and have more vitamins, than if you leave in normal storage for a few day.

I would make sure its defrosted properly though before feeding normally (except in hot summer when it will help cool them down).

I am a high school teacher and have just struck a sweet deal with the food services manager.  She is going to start giving me a 5 gallon bucket of vegetable scraps each day in return for the occasional dozen eggs. My question to you experienced chicken people is "can I bag the extra veggie slop and freeze it for future feeding?"  With school ending in less than a month, I would not have the opportunity to get this luxury feed until September, but I could store enough in the freezer to ration it out on a daily basis during the summer. Any advice is welcomed.  Thanks in advance.

What a wonderful deal!! I've asked at several grocery stores & they won't give away their veggie scraps cause they're afraid people will eat them, get sick & sue them. Maybe I'll try your method at some a the smaller, Mom & Pop stores.

Back
Top Bottom