Freezing Vegetables?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Lexiluke, May 23, 2012.

1. Lexiluke

Lexiluke Chirping

Apr 13, 2012
    I am a high school teacher and have just struck a sweet deal with the food services manager. She is going to start giving me a 5 gallon bucket of vegetable scraps each day in return for the occasional dozen eggs. My question to you experienced chicken people is "can I bag the extra veggie slop and freeze it for future feeding?" With school ending in less than a month, I would not have the opportunity to get this luxury feed until September, but I could store enough in the freezer to ration it out on a daily basis during the summer. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks in advance.

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Songster

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    I freeze old vegetables for my chickens and in the summer I just give it to them frozen they love it that way. I just buy buy cheap freezer bags and I even reuse the bags

3. jak2002003

jak2002003 Crowing

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    yes, you can freeze the veg no problems. It will actually keep better frozen and have more vitamins, than if you leave in normal storage for a few day.

I would make sure its defrosted properly though before feeding normally (except in hot summer when it will help cool them down).

4. Lexiluke

Lexiluke Chirping

Apr 13, 2012
    Thanks! This is what I was hoping to hear.

5. jomoncon

jomoncon Songster

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA

What a wonderful deal!! I've asked at several grocery stores & they won't give away their veggie scraps cause they're afraid people will eat them, get sick & sue them. Maybe I'll try your method at some a the smaller, Mom & Pop stores.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: