Freezing Vegetables?

Lexiluke

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 13, 2012
I am a high school teacher and have just struck a sweet deal with the food services manager. She is going to start giving me a 5 gallon bucket of vegetable scraps each day in return for the occasional dozen eggs. My question to you experienced chicken people is "can I bag the extra veggie slop and freeze it for future feeding?" With school ending in less than a month, I would not have the opportunity to get this luxury feed until September, but I could store enough in the freezer to ration it out on a daily basis during the summer. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks in advance.

mnferalkitty

Songster
7 Years
May 17, 2012
Minnesota
I freeze old vegetables for my chickens and in the summer I just give it to them frozen they love it that way. I just buy buy cheap freezer bags and I even reuse the bags

jak2002003

Crowing
10 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Thailand
yes, you can freeze the veg no problems. It will actually keep better frozen and have more vitamins, than if you leave in normal storage for a few day.

I would make sure its defrosted properly though before feeding normally (except in hot summer when it will help cool them down).

jomoncon

Songster
9 Years
Sep 24, 2010
New Orleans, LA
I am a high school teacher and have just struck a sweet deal with the food services manager.  She is going to start giving me a 5 gallon bucket of vegetable scraps each day in return for the occasional dozen eggs. My question to you experienced chicken people is "can I bag the extra veggie slop and freeze it for future feeding?"  With school ending in less than a month, I would not have the opportunity to get this luxury feed until September, but I could store enough in the freezer to ration it out on a daily basis during the summer. Any advice is welcomed.  Thanks in advance.

What a wonderful deal!! I've asked at several grocery stores & they won't give away their veggie scraps cause they're afraid people will eat them, get sick & sue them. Maybe I'll try your method at some a the smaller, Mom & Pop stores.

Top Bottom