french black copper marans/black polish

birdsss

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 9, 2012
Sardis Arkansas
what results could i expect if i bred a french black copper marans rooster over some white crested black polish hens? would they take the head feathers from the polish or stay short like the marans? possibly both? how do you think it will affect egg color, size, and production, and body size? any other ideas welcome. thanks

Last edited:
The crest would be dominant I would think, so it is likely that you would get some offspring that have a crest or a partial crest. I am totally guessing at this point as I do not work with any other breed of chickens except Marans.

Marans being large fowl and Polish being on the smaller side will probably produce some birds that are slightly larger than the Polish, but not as big as the Marans.

What color egg do Polish birds lay?

Brown egg gene is dominant to the white egg gene....so my guess is that you would end up with layers that lay a brown egg but not as dark as a Marans egg. I believe it would take several generations of backcrossing back to a pure Marans to darken the egg color further, if you are after dark eggs.
Not sure if every female produced would lay a brown egg....but one would think so. I hope others that are well versed with this come by and give their opinions for you.

Back
Top Bottom