French Black Copper Marans rooster biting

Goronson Chicks

Songster
Sep 13, 2014
Maine
Hi folks,
I think you've had this question before - but my young pure bred FCBM rooster has started biting me and drawing blood when I reach in to get a food container or watering dish. He's quick as a flash and bites deeply. I haven't had any other biting or nasty roosters. Wouldn't you know it is going to be the expensive pure bred that I actually want to breed. All my other Marans birds are mild mannered. What happened to this one? I raised him from 6 weeks old.

Training methods for Marans roos?

Thank you,
Maureen

If you have been hand feeding, and not corrected this BAD behavior at all, maybe he can be readjusted. Maybe. He should be moving away from you, never close enough to make contact, much less bite! Mary

You may possibly be able to break him off bad behavior with any one of the method that are discussed in this site, but it will always be there and could come back. If your reason for keeping him is breeding stock then I wouldn't bother keeping him unless it's impossible to get a different one. Even though you may train him not to bite you he will always have the tendency and will pass that on to his little roosters. I won't have a mean rooster for that reason, not breeding for temperament is a problem in all breeding be it dogs, pigs, chickens, whatever. I have had over 50 rooster in the last 3 years and none have shown any aggression, there are far too many nice roosters out there to be bothering with mean ones much less allowing them to pass that on.

If you have been hand feeding, and not corrected this BAD behavior at all, maybe he can be readjusted. Maybe. He should be moving away from you, never close enough to make contact, much less bite! Mary

It's happened when I'm reaching in to refill the grain or water containers, or when I push (gently) a hen out of the way to get the containers out. He sits right there and watches me. Will reach for me if I'm close or if I go to move him out of the way.

You may possibly be able to break him off bad behavior with any one of the method that are discussed in this site, but it will always be there and could come back. If your reason for keeping him is breeding stock then I wouldn't bother keeping him unless it's impossible to get a different one. Even though you may train him not to bite you he will always have the tendency and will pass that on to his little roosters. I won't have a mean rooster for that reason, not breeding for temperament is a problem in all breeding be it dogs, pigs, chickens, whatever. I have had over 50 rooster in the last 3 years and none have shown any aggression, there are far too many nice roosters out there to be bothering with mean ones much less allowing them to pass that on.

You do have a good point about there being a problem in not breeding for temperament in all those types of animals. I'm rethinking my position. I don't want to breed more of that. None of my other roosters are, or have ever been, that way.
Thank you,
Maureen

Back
Top Bottom